icon

Trying to run a HU in a house

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2005 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys and gals I'm trying to run deck in my house. I would like to figure out the best way to do this. Should i use a ac/dc converter to supply it with power. The deck I'm trying to do this with is a Alpine CDA-9851.
The installation guide or the insulation recommendation say to put a 10amp fuse on the power wire. I know i have to put a fuse on my power wire going to it but is this the amount of power it takes to run the HU.
Do i get a converter that is able to put out 10amps.
Do the shops that display there decks use a power converter to run them. What is the best way to do this thanks in advance.Trying to run a HU in a house -- posted image.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2005 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  

Why are you trying to do this? I hate to shoot you down but this is a real waste of time and money. Get a real in home receiver.

There's been a few past threads with people trying to do the same thing, but most never followed through. Search in the gen or misc forums.

audiobhan101 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2005 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
OK im pretty sure every house has about 15-30amps coming from the out let and a converter works by stepping down the voltage through a transformer.
the equation you want to look at is V=IR.
lets say you have a 120 volt outlet.
and its at 15amps. all you gotta do is add 12ohms of resistance to bring that amperage down to 10amps and then use a fuse to prevent any spikes or surges from getting through.
its prolly gonna be very complex ur better off to do as dwarren said and just buy a home unit.
84 Mazda Rx7 GS
4 15" Audiobahn High Excursion
1 2500W Orion Amp
Custom Box
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2005 at 2:25 AM / IP Logged  
audiobhan101 wrote:
OK im pretty sure every house has about 15-30amps coming from the out let and a converter works by stepping down the voltage through a transformer.
the equation you want to look at is V=IR.
lets say you have a 120 volt outlet.
and its at 15amps. all you gotta do is add 12ohms of resistance to bring that amperage down to 10amps and then use a fuse to prevent any spikes or surges from getting through.
its prolly gonna be very complex ur better off to do as dwarren said and just buy a home unit.
And that is VERY WRONG and VERY DANGEROUS information, and WILL cause somebody to destroy a component if they follow it, and possibly electrocute themselves in the process. A house uses AC, a car provides DC. You need a POWER SUPPLY, something that converts high voltage AC to lower voltage, higher current DC. This involves a transformer, (NOT a resistor) capacitors, diodes, and in a regulated version, trasistors. Yours was VERY bad advice, indeed!
Also, the deck will pull UP TO 10 amps, anything beyond that, and the fuse will blow, BUT I recommend you purchase a power supply that will provide at least 15A of current, so as to prevent voltage sags.
I recommend this one as a minimum for a cassette or CD deck. This one will power a VERY SMALL amplifier as well (maybe 50wpc), although not to full output continuously.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 26, 2005 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
audiohhan, I hope youngone didn't follow your advice.  And I hope YOU don't follow your advice.  It might be a good idea if 12volt can make some kind of overlaying warning, like "AARRGGHHH!!! BAD ADVICE!!!" to superimpose over posts like that.  I know I've made a couple of bad advice posts over the years that could have used this warning!  Have a cup of coffee and think about it...
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2005 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  

You can sell that alpine on e-bay and buy a nice home amplifer for the same price, plus it most likely will be a better quality signal.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
audiobhan101 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2005 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
lol ok no more home wiring advice for me but maybe you guys saw that the wrong way.
I didnt just say to put a resistor and call it a day i meant buy a converter and the converter steps down the voltage through resistance.
ull notice i said step down through a transformer not through resistance. the transformer just uses resistance to accomplish the step down.
sorry for the confusion.
84 Mazda Rx7 GS
4 15" Audiobahn High Excursion
1 2500W Orion Amp
Custom Box
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 26, 2005 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I see that now.  Sorry 'bout that!  Trying to run a HU in a house -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2005 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst hit it right on the head. a power supply is the best way. digi key sells a few different types and sizes. i just upgraded one for my home workshop to repair eletronic's mostly car audio and even though i spent over a 100 bucks, i got one that will provide me with enough juice to run aournd a 200 watt rms system and it has a varible voltage from 5 to 15 volts. but radio shack has smaller ones for less than 40 bucks and lows as 20 bucks.

if your trying to do this for your listening pleasure the above post are very correct.,but for tseting your deck or amp you just got or the one your buddy's friends got and you not sure of it  they do come in really handy even when your trying to check some 12vdc device and dont want to use your cars supply or a typical ac/dc converter that came off of your playstation or something. very quick and efficent, more safer and veritile to use. i think they are diffently worth the money.

JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
footbaldd 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
Like the others said you need to look for a 12volt dc powersupply. Then you also need to look at the rail to make sure that it can handle the amperage you want to pull.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic