icon

Anyone have experience w/MTX Thunder Amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Sigfried 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2005 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
Hi everyone, have anyone of you guys have experian with MTX new series Thunder Amplifiers? recently i bought the new series of MTX Thunder Amp, the TA 81001 that is 500W rms @4ohm, 1000W rms @2ohm and 1500W rms @ 1ohm, i have 2 subwoofers dvc wired at 1ohm (1500W rms) but after playing like 10-15 min at high Volume, vol 30 (my system can go till Vol.40) it overheats and turns off. so i want to know if one of you guys who know this Amp. that if this amp is 1ohm stable for a daily drive or not? or is my Amp.is defected or anything else I also try it at 2ohm with 1 subwoofer and it didn't overheat. so i think maybe it isn't 1 ohm stable for daily drive or it is defected, what are you guys think about this? thanks everyone.
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2005 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
yes it should push 1 ohm just fine. it has a built in fan to help cool it.. what size wire are you running? mtx wants a 1/0 guage ran to it
Sigfried 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2005 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, i'm using 1/0 guage wire, an Iraggi Alternator 120 Idle 180 Amp. Max, a Yellow Top Battery, and i'm using 2 10" 9500 dvc Subs in a Sealed Box.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 26, 2005 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  

Try turning your gains down a little first and see if that does it.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
opy1095 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2005 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
yea he is right try turning gain down---even though it has built in fans at that high volume it will still go into protect mode not only cause it may br overheatin but to protect the cuircutry at that high current draw its pulling-----but that is a bad ass amp--i have 2 TA7801
dohckiller808 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2005 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
im sponered by MTX and we sell there products. if your gonna stress that amp at 1 ohm. its required to run a second battery as close as possible to the amp. just run a battery parlell <sp? like how you hook up a power cap. i have it done on mine running 2 1500d and no over heating or shut of. your amp is starving for power.
150SPL musical in a civic coupe
Sigfried 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 5:46 AM / IP Logged  
Yes we have turn the gain down like 1/2 and it still overheats i also try it at 2 Ohm but it did't overheat, also one more thing is that it have a strange noise when it turns on like a sweepy sound(shhhhhhhppp) i think it's the capacitor. And my other Amp(TA 3404) turn on 2-3 seconds first than this Amp( TA 81001)Is this normal? that one amp turns on first than the other? and is my Amp. defect because of that strange noise? thanks guys
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
Do a search on how to properly set gain controls.  It sounds like you're just trying to guess where it should go.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  

Sigfried wrote:
Yes we have turn the gain down like 1/2 and it still overheats i also try it at 2 Ohm but it did't overheat, also one more thing is that it have a strange noise when it turns on like a sweepy sound(shhhhhhhppp) i think it's the capacitor. And my other Amp(TA 3404) turn on 2-3 seconds first than this Amp( TA 81001)Is this normal? that one amp turns on first than the other? and is my Amp. defect because of that strange noise? thanks guys

Many class D amps emit a hissing like noise, mine included.

Secondly, running any amp at 1 ohm will put a much bigger strain on the amp and the car's electrical system. Even if an amp is designed for 1 ohm operation, it will run hotter.

Amps often turn on at different times, this isn't  a huge issue. Mine do.

Mentioned above is an important suggestion. I second the gain issue. If not the entire problem, it can certainly add to the problem.

dohckiller808 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  

geepherder wrote:
Do a search on how to properly set gain controls.  It sounds like you're just trying to guess where it should go.

to properly set gains you need a scilioscope<sp

a very simple way to set gains is like this:

-set deck to flat settings / no loud

-turn amp gain all the way down

-play a good strong recorded cd

-raise the stereo volume until you hear distortion. it wont be to loud but that would be the limit of the stereos signal. then turn a few dials down from there. you should be about 3/4 up on your deck

-now raise the gain on the amp untill you hear distortion again. that would be the amps limit.

-now your gain is set. use deck or eq controls for fine tuning to your taste.

-enjoy!

now if you get whine or anything wierd its your install. clean that shhh up.

150SPL musical in a civic coupe
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic