icon

False Info?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2005 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
I went to my local dealer JL dealer and asked the guy working there how much a sealed box for 2 12W6v2s would be.  He said first of all I recommend you use a ported box because it is more efficient, louder, has better sound quality, and has more bass extention.  I understand that a ported box requires less power and has more SPL, but doesn't a sealed box have better SQ?  And I thought that ported boxes didn't extend the frequency of a sub.  Am I right or was that guy really telling the truth?
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2005 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
Actually thats wrong, a ported box can be made to sound better than a sealed box, it all depends on the woofer and box design.  Once you figure out how to build ported box's proper with the correct specs, you will never want to go back to sealed.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2005 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  
But then why in SQ comps do they use sealed boxes?
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2005 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
Because vented enclosures are HUGE, compared to a sealed enclosure for an equivalent low frequency cut-off. Really, this is about it, next to the previously mentioned difficulty in building one correctly.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
rottenbelly 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2005 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
These new slot ported boxes are hard to beat for spl if u set them up right making sure u use a sub bass filter and all, but as for sound quality i believe you will never beat a  well built sealed box.  I personally have never felt a ported box hit  a lower note than a sealed box .(try hitting 10 to 12hz in a ported box) if u have let me know i would love to see box plans so i can experiment.
rottenbellys 05 crew cab colorado.Pioneer dehp 880prs, kenwood excelon in all 4 doors. Bazooka 500 mono Jl 10w3 in coustom center console box.
opy1095 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2005 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
personally i think a well made ported box built and designed well and cutom 4 these subs are the best way to go--sometimes this means a huge box though
suicidecustom 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  

rottenbelly wrote:
I personally have never felt a ported box hit  a lower note than a sealed box .(try hitting 10 to 12hz in a ported box) if u have let me know i would love to see box plans so i can experiment.

if you have heard a box hit 10-12hz id like to know how? our ears are only capable of 20hz - 20khz

godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
You can't hear that low, and he is talking about SQ not SPL, they arn't the same thing.
rottenbelly 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2005 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry for not being technical ! if u have felt one go that low let me know.
rottenbellys 05 crew cab colorado.Pioneer dehp 880prs, kenwood excelon in all 4 doors. Bazooka 500 mono Jl 10w3 in coustom center console box.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2005 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
Couple of interesting observations. If I read correctly JL's 1961 Mini was built with 2  12" W6V2 woofers that have inserts that remove to convert them to either sealed or vented. With all that was said above and the room for vented box why would they offer the sealed set up? Why did the JL retailer say what he did if JL offers sealed and vented box designs on their websight. And Arrow, did he know what amount of space your box could take up? Just curious.
There is no such thing as free installation!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic