2002 Sentra Cold Start problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Lubuspl 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2005 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
Hey,
I just installed a Compustar 2WSS-AS on a 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V. Now when the car is warm it starts up right away. I know that the car has two starter wires and the alarm has one, I just cut both starter wires and connected it the the starter kill relay provided by Compustar. I guess this is not how to connect the second starter wire which is probably cold start. I tried to read up on it on the forum but dont really understand how to connect the relay. Can someone please tell me how to connect the 85, 86,87a, 87 and 30 relay for the cold start, and I would also like to keep the starter kill with anti grine. Thanks
schnupper 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2005 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  
It sounds like a battery problem. Do a Load test on your battery to see if it is good or not.
Headunit-KDC-MP928
Front Speakers-OEM
Rear Speakers-OEM
Subwoofer-Kicker L5 12inch
Subwoofer AMP-Kicker KX600.1
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2005 at 7:15 AM / IP Logged  
Put your second start wire back together. Take a relay and hook 87 to it. Put 30 and 86 to 12V. Last, take 85 and connect it to a ground during crank wire. 87a goes nowhere.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 26, 2005 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
Even though it is technically wrong to simply jump the two wires together, it will not have any effect on cold-start performance, so that isn't your problem.
Furthermore, the way you have it, the two wires are jumped together all the time.......so if that was the trouble, you wouldn't be able to start it with the key either.
Sounds like either a wrong tach wire, tach rate misprogrammed, or if you're using voltage sense, the wrong crank time.
I find those cars to work well with voltage sense, and .8 seconds crank time.
Lubuspl 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2005 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  

Chris Luongo wrote:
Even though it is technically wrong to simply jump the two wires together, it will not have any effect on cold-start performance, so that isn't your problem.
Furthermore, the way you have it, the two wires are jumped together all the time.......so if that was the trouble, you wouldn't be able to start it with the key either.
Sounds like either a wrong tach wire, tach rate misprogrammed, or if you're using voltage sense, the wrong crank time.
I find those cars to work well with voltage sense, and .8 seconds crank time.

The Compustar does not program on voltage, but if the tach is wrong it would not work at all. The car starts and runs normally when the car is warm but when it is cold outside like 30deg. it will crank, start, run for couple of second and shut off. I know for a fact that when this Sentra SE-R is warm is tach stays at 900RPM but when cold it is on 1500RPM. What should I do?

Chris Luongo 
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  
I have seen that type of problem on 4-cylinder Toyota Camrys, with Audiovox remote starters, and it was tach-related----the installer got the wrong wire, and it was too sensitive. Those crazy Camry engines sometimes race to 2300RPM when cold!
Where did you get the tachometer connection? I remember I hooked up tach on a base-model Sentra (how similar is your engine?), and I used a wire at the ignition coil pack.
Also, on that car, I removed the instrument cluster in an attempt to find a true tachometer wire inside, and I was unable to.
Anyway, you have two basic solutions:
1. Program the tach while revving the engine slightly at the same time. Or, simply program the tach first thing on a cold morning, so the engine will be acting the same way.
2. Try a different tach wire. If you used a fuel injector, try the coil pack instead---or the other way around.
As a last resort, it is sometimes possible to get access to the wiring information for the rest of the car, and connect to something like a camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, or any other sensor that varies with engine speed.
Chris Luongo 
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  
Oh, one more thing I forgot about----look at the install manual and see if that Compustar has any kind of diagnostic mode.
For example, the product I install can tell me the reason for the last time the remote start was shut down-----the brake, hood, control switch, over-rev, or low/no tach-----if yours has such a feature, that would be a good troubleshooting tool------let the car remote start and die, and then enter diagnostics.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 6:58 AM / IP Logged  
Chris is right, you need to check this as i've seen it before too. When it's cold the motor will rev high at first and the remote start will shut off from over reving. It's not nessessarly the wrong tach wire, but just the remote start doing it's job correctly. Watch the tach when it's cold, does it rev high? If so you'll need to reprogram the tach at about 2000rpms...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Lubuspl 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
I tried to reporgram the tach at a higher level, but still does the same thing. I'm going to try to get a new tach signal, anyone know what color and where?
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  

For tach go to any of the coils and use one of the following: BLACK/ red, purple, blue/red, or gray/red. Can also use blue/orange at the instrument cluster if vehicle is equipped with a tachometer.

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic