icon

picking front speakers, 2006 Subaru STI

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
otter 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2005 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
Hey all, I am in a little bit of a bind here trying to pick out some front speakers for my new 2006 Subaru STI.
I have a lot of the components for my system already that I took out of my las car (an 02 chevrolet silverado). I will be using a Pioneer AVH-P7500DVD head unit connected to a Rockford Fosgate Power 551x (I think that is the model # I don't have it in front of me right now, it is a 500 x 4 "Power" series amplifier). For low end I have 2 MB Quart discus series DVC 10s in a sealed enclosure powered by a Rockford Fosgate power series 500 watt 2 channel amp (I might pick up another one of these amps and run one of them per sub).
I will also be running 2 x 1-farad capacitors
The STI has room for 6.5" speakers up front (I plan to leave the rears for a while so that I can blow more $$ on the front speakers)
I have considered the MB Quart premium series, but now am hearing that they aren't all that great for the $$. I have looked a bit into morel speakers, but I need some suggestions.
I have not purchased a set of speakers for over 4 years and feel like I am in the dark here since there are a lot of brands that are high end that I have never heard of before (ie Rainbow, Focal)
any help is greatly appreciated!
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2005 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
Mounting depth is your ONLY issue up front......a tad bit over 2 inches....
otter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2005 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, I understand that, planning on making some ring spacers out of mdf to take care of any issues with mounting depth.
I am really not worried about the install as much as I am with what the heck to put in there. There are soooo many choices out. Need some opinions on what will work well with my setup. Or even a critique of my setup if you have any!
thanks
Ryan
otter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
anyone?
I know some of you guys have some hefty opinions on the speaker offerings on the market today!
otter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks sprahl, that guy seems to really love those Polks! Thanks for the link to CA&E I forgot what a great source those guys are! I think I am looking to be a bit under that price range though. Probably $500 US tops. I am also not opposed to running last years model if that helps. All of the rest of my stuff is a few years old anyway.
thanks in advance
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
I'll give you the same advice I give everyone.  Go shopping.  Listen to everything you can find.  Buy what sounds best to you.  There is really no other consideration: what sounds best to you is all that matters.
Support the12volt.com
otter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
I'll give you the same advice I give everyone.  Go shopping.  Listen to everything you can find.  Buy what sounds best to you.  There is really no other consideration: what sounds best to you is all that matters.
but what good is listening to speakers on a sound board? Everything changes in the car. and the speakers that sound best in the store could be because of where I stand, speaker height etc.
am I right?
I realize everyones ears are different, but I thought I could get a good jump off here as to what I want.
thanks for the replies!
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
You're right of course that different installations can make speakers sound differently.  However, in general if you like the way certain speakers sound in a display (especially in a side-by-side with others) they will still sound good to you after a proper installation.  I have had the experience where something sounds great in the shop and then like ass in the vehicle, but that's the exception not the rule.  picking front speakers, 2006 Subaru STI -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
otter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
Well thank you DYohn, I took your advice and threw myself upon the mercy of the local stereo shops. listened to quite a few: Focal power series, some eclipses, some Bostons, Morels, and MB Quarts.
let me tell you I walked into something great!
Liked the focals and eclipses that I heard at the first shop and then headed over to one a few blocks down that had the Bostons, Morels, and Quarts. Listened and really liked the price/ sound combo of the Bostons, LOVED the Morel Elates, and really liked the Quart reference. They also had Quart Q.
after listening to all of them, the owner (who was showing this all to me) said that he could make me a good deal on the reference 6.5" quarts... $200 out the door. Then he asked if I wanted 6.5 or 5.25 and I asked what will I miss in the 5.25. Which he gave me an in depth answer, and I told him that I wasn't opposed to a 5.25. He then ran to the back, and came back with a set of Qs New, sealed in box, and said that he could do them for $750. So I said I had to hear them again, and after said that I couldn't justify a $500 difference, at which point he said that he could do $650 as an absolute bottom.
apparently, since Quart got bought out (again) they have decided not to re-up their contract with quart, and need to get rid of them.
I think I scored big here... full warranty and the whole 9.
thank you guys for all of your help (both in this thread and from my searching of other threads)
DYohn 
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
Cool!  I'm glad you found something you liked.  Enjoy!
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic