the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Eclipse component speaker impression

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
Hi everyone.  I just finished installing a very nice set of Eclipse SC8362 components in the front of my vehicle.  I'm writing because these guys have amazing mid-bass output, and I know that's something always sought in car audio.  Even with full Dynamat treatment on inner and outer door skin, the woofers in these comps vibrate the entire door.  It's the first time I've ever scrambled for the deck EQ to cut the bass to -3.  I'm thinking of adding a layer of rubber sound deadener (like that used inside the hood) on the inside of the door panels.  I am very impressed by the output from these speakers.  I have not measured the output yet, but if I had to guess I'd say these guys are reaching down to 50Hz with ease.  The silk dome tweets are very smooth and clear as a bell.  The only thing lacking on initial listen is the kind of mid-range clarity I am used to from my Seas components, but that may develop as the woofers break in a little.  In any case, I can highly recommend the Eclipse component sets (at least these 2-ways from last model year) for very nice high end with prodigious mid-bass output.  Thanks for the excellent recommendation, Rob.
Support the12volt.com
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  

Where are the tweeters located? Are these in the outlander? Deck power or amp?

I think I saw a few of these at Good Guys yesterday at 50-60% off!Eclipse component speaker impression -- posted image.

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, in the new Outlander.  The tweets are in the OEM tweeter pods on the doors (rear view mirror mount location) and woofers in OEM door locations.  Eclipse crossovers screwed to inside of door and  tweeter pads defeated.  Eclipse CD5444 deck, power from McIntosh MCC204 located under the passenger seat.  Rear speakers currently removed, getting ready to install 6.5" sub in each rear door (I want a completely stealth installation.)
Support the12volt.com
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
  Rear speakers currently removed, getting ready to install 6.5" sub in each rear door (I want a completely stealth installation.)

What? No 15" a-bahn flame thrower woofers in a neon bandpass?

Seriously, what 6.5" subs are you going to use?

DYohn you have been tunred to an Eclipse junky! Just don't use the ESN security!

menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
yes tell us if they improve after break-in. im always looking for great fair priced components.     i have 4 vehicles im putting systems in. and im looking to buy another car.     i put a totally stealth system in my wifes car too.    (just dont open the trunk)Eclipse component speaker impression -- posted image.
DYohn 
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  

dwarren wrote:
What? No 15" a-bahn flame thrower woofers in a neon bandpass?

Yea, I thought of that but I want to use the cargo area for cargo, which is why I bought the little SUV in the first place. Eclipse component speaker impression -- posted image.

dwarren wrote:
Seriously, what 6.5" subs are you going to use?

DYohn you have been turned to an Eclipse junky! Just don't use the ESN security!

A set of Tang Band 6.5" subs.  I played around with them and they sound surprisingly good.  With 24 sqft of Dynamat Extreme on each door, it should work (wish I'd treated the front doors so liberally.)  By my calculations, the rear doors should function as a ported enclosure tuned to about 35Hz, which is just right for me.  And plenty of room so the windows will still function (which surprised me.)  I am allowing myself to be an Eclipse junky in this car because I value SQ above all else and Nakamichi's new stuff is overpriced and a pale imitation of what they used to be. Eclipse component speaker impression -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
dwarren 
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  

The Tang Bands I'm sure will sound much better than the pyramid "orginals" that I had in mind...lol.  Wow 24 sqft of Dynamat should yield great results.

Unfortunate for Nak, they obviously had great stuff at the time. 

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
A set of Tang Band 6.5" subs. I played around with them and they sound surprisingly good. With 24 sqft of Dynamat Extreme on each door, it should work (wish I'd treated the front doors so liberally.) By my calculations, the rear doors should function as a ported enclosure tuned to about 35Hz, which is just right for me. And plenty of room so the windows will still function (which surprised me.) I am allowing myself to be an Eclipse junky in this car because I value SQ above all else and Nakamichi's new stuff is overpriced and a pale imitation of what they used to be.
The TB's a awesome little woofers. Charles (of Harman fame) looked at them and was VERY suitably impressed with them. He specifically mentioned the OBVIOUS Xmax, and he liked the efficiency numbers as well.
I had them sitting RIGHT next to a pair of the Extremis woofers, (sorry, Steven) and he liked them very much, noticing very similar motor structures. Personally, from my previous experiences with both of these woofers, the TB will do a better job down low, but the mid-range quality of the Extremis will beat the CRAP out of the TB's. I think you'll be happy with those TB's in a "subwoofer" application. Surprising output for such a small woofer!
I am curious to know, though, why did dwarren say to not use the Eclipse ESN...??? You no likey?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  

I agree, the TBs sound very good.  Surprisingly powerful for a $40 7" driver.  I've got some level matching and crossover tweaking to do tomorrow, but initial impression is positive.  I've got the TBs low-passed at 100Hz and it's more than enough IMO.  They have several versions of this speaker now, including a 5-1/4" and two different 6.5's.  Also a new 8" but it uses a different motor, and an odd duck at 8" X 12" that might be interesting to play around with. 

I would not put these in the same category as the Extremis, however, as they are limited to woofer duty and won't play much higher than 700Hz.  I have several Extremii in my HT setup now, all playing up to 3KHz.  Their midrange sound quality is outstanding to say the least.

Support the12volt.com
dwarren 
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
I am curious to know, though, why did dwarren say to not use the Eclipse ESN...??? You no likey?

No sir, not as of yesterday. I did some battery wiring work which led to the removal of the battery terminal, so loss of constant. At the time I had my ESN security activated. When I was finished, I went to go use my radio and unfortunately it went into security. Fine no big deal, but it was more than just putting my security CD in. It involved three phone calls to Eclipse. I eventually asked the tech if the radio would do this w/o the ESN activated and the answer was no. So my positive feelings about ESN have decreased. It seems more like a gimmick for sales (reassuring the customer) than a real useable feature.

I also spoke to a friend who was once an Eclipse dealer and he said that on every Monday, some sap would come back complaining the radio wouldn't work after a dead battery.

My alternartive, I put in an alarm.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic