icon

what battery to choose

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jonchos 
Copper - Posts: 256
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 96 chevrolet monte carlo LS and I am only running one amp (RF P5002) with two 10" woofers, and components (F/R).

Now I want to replace my stock battery with an better battery, I have heard of optima red top and yellow top, rockford fosgate batteries, kynetick(sorry for the bad spelling) and some others, I have seen optima red top at my local pep boys, but I am not sure if that is what I need. what batery do you think would be bestfo my car? red top, yellow top or any of the others? It needs to fit in my stock loation with the windshield washer fluid reservoir on top, so it has to be side post terminal and the same size as the stock one. Please help.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
Check the kenitik web site and put your current draw into the calculator to see what you would need to use...
Kenitikaudio.com
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure you'd need *anything* with a *single* amp like that... are you experiecing any electrical symptoms that are making you look at another battery?
Have you run your 'big 3' wiring upgrade? That'd be the only thing you should even need to bother with.. I can't say I've ever needed anything else with *any* single amp system I've done..
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
jonchos 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
Well I have done the big three and I have acap in my car and i just want to get rid of a littl hadlight and dme light dimming. Ihave read that a battery ad a HO Alt. would dobut i just do no have the moneyto get a HO right now so  battery was my first option.
Ocuriel 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
Keep in mind that the yellow top is strictly a deep cycle battery & not intended for starting a vehicle. the red one is a deep cycle as well as starting. your better off getting a good strong car battery & if needed, upgrade to a stronger alternator or put yellow top in the trunk in the future.    
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
Ocuriel wrote:
Keep in mind that the yellow top is strictly a deep cycle battery & not intended for starting a vehicle. the red one is a deep cycle as well as starting.
This is incorrect.
The Red Top is a standard, albiet highly durable, SLI battery. It is intentended for Starting, Lighting, and the Ignition. The Yellow Top is absolutely fine for starting your car and *is* the deep cycle variant. Battery technology is really complicated and suffice it to say that the chief difference is going to be performance under a steady load.. the Yellow top is much better as a car audio battery, as it can actually withstand the constant pull of tens of amps off your electrical system.   
My personal experience with Red Top was fairly poor.. a kw of JL amps killed a brand new one in a weekend. The Yellow that replaced has been going strong for better than a year.
Get a Yellow Top and be done with it.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
The plus for the yellow top is that it has more durability then a usual battery. It can be drained completly and recharged. While a red top can't. Like a normal battery, if you drain it completly once or twice its done.
jonchos 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you guys. I will get the yellow top then. For what Io have learned here is that it will start my car no problem, and it will keep up with my current draw. Thank you again.
Ocuriel 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
Sure a yellow top will crank over an engine, but was it designed for cranking a engine? no. A car battery is more suitable for cranking. A yellow top is more of a battery to run auxillary components.
jonchos 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  

i am so confused. I think I am just going to get a red top.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic