icon

Remote start issues, starter dragging

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xttech 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  

Finally after some sub zero temps,,,it appears i have the remote car starter somewhat working.

I have to research this site some more for the answers, but if some one knows the quick fix that would be great.  It starts, but the starter stays engaged dragging, then remote control shuts car down.   From the manual, it appears this might be caused by a weak tach signal. or its needs to be tach adjusted again. I tried tach adjustment again and still the same....   I also noted off the distributor there is a PURPLE / white wire and this poss can be a better tach signal as it goes to the engine crankshaft sensor. I am going to try switching this out and see if it is the cause.

Any one have any other thoughts on this.

tia

boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds like a tach issue like you stated.  It would have helped if you included Year, make, and model of your vehicle. Chances are someone here has done that vehicle and can give you a good tach source.

xttech 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry bout that boomer.. :=)

its an 85 Olds Firenza.... I gave up on finding a tach source off the coil. I will be trying the PURPLE / wire off the distributor as another wiring diagram site, said it could be either the white or PURPLE / white wire off the distributor.  i also read somwhere, where a person was getting a weak signal for the tach wire and somehow tricked it  by revving the engine and then relearning the tach control.

boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
Let us know how it comes out. You're on the right track. I would try that wire too.
jacqueslacombe 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  
 it would be nice to know the RS brands                  the withe wire should be right
cocolaboy
xttech 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 3:24 AM / IP Logged  

boomer,,, I have a feeling that is the one,(PURPLE / white) and will be trying it tomorrow am... The Firenza wasnt in production long, and some of the wiring diagrams are generic to some degree... I found one site, that mentions for the 87-89 its either a white or PURPLE / white wire....I got a 85 and it has both white and a PURPLE / white coming off the distributor...

jacqueslacombe    its a ProStart CT-3400TW RS

I have also ruled out a good ground tonight, by going right to the battery...Now the starter drags a tad longer.

While it was running, i put it in idle mode and taking out the key it continued to run fine and shut off with brake pedal press.. I also tried , with the engine off, ignition in the run position and tried starting it with the remote and it wouldnt start.   I do not understand this stuff fully at all, but I think and from what i read, the tach signal is the key.

It has two ways to program the tach and it only works one way in multi-speed tach programming. Trying the first way, auto tach programming it does not flash 5 times as it should.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
What is the serial# of the unit? and the year make model again?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
xttech 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  

I have to get the serial # when i go back out to try other wires. PURPLE / white off distributor and white or - post off of coil.  Its in a 1985 Olds Firenza.

xttech 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  

I forgot, I checked the prostart/autostart website and its not in their list or i couldnt find it. This site, forum members and the search function has been the most help so far.

stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
that prostart is the same as the autostart's i used last year,  i have had a couple people befor come in with that problem, i'm not sure about your engine weither it's fuel injected or throttle body injection, if it's fuel injected try the odd colour on the injectors, there's two wires that go to them, one common colour, one odd (take that one) those prostart units had two settings for the tach, how you have it now and voltage setting (or smart start i beleive they listed it as, i just didn't find it reliable)  perhaps you could switch it to voltage sensing. 
Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic