icon

2004 chevy truck complete system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
superboy95 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2005 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  

Hello all.  First let me say great site.  Lots of useful info. 

I'm in the process of replacing/upgrading my whole system (2004 silverado 2500 HD crew cab, no bose, no xm, no onstar).  This will be my first major install by myself and I hope I don't run into any major roadblocks.  I put a killer system in my boat but that is much easier.  The truck system will consist of: Sony MP3 H/U, polk momo 6.5 components for front doors, 10" phoneix gold x-max subs in a subthump dual downfiring box under the rear seat, and a Kicker 550.3 3 channel amp (2 x 85 front, 1 x 420 sub) for power.

My questions are:

1.  Will the 6.5's bolt right up or will there be some fab work?  Crutchfield says "fit" but does that mean exact?

2.  Same thing for the tweeters?  The factory tweets look much different.  I don't want to modify the looks of the truck/door in any way.

3.  Where in the world do i mount those big ugly polk crossovers?  I was told to just wrap them real good with bubble wray and put them inside the doors. 

4.  Will i need to run new speaker wire for the components?  My local shop said they would just use the stock gm speaker wire, but i don't want to put all this money down and sacrifice b/c of undersize wire.  Is is standard to use stock wire?  If I do run new wire, how do i get it through the door opening?

5.  I've read lots of conflicting posts about the affects of replacing the gm head unit.  What is the definite answer?  I don't care about the chimes or RAP, but don't want to freak out the other systems on the truck.

6.  What is the part number for the adapter I'll need to install the sony h/u?  Will it have that cheesy looking extra slot/space?

7.  Where do i run the 4 gauge power wire through the firewall at?

Think that's about it.  Any help or general advice related to my install would be greatly appreciated!

otter 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2005 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
I can't say for sure in an 04. But I had an 02 with MOMOs in the front doors and the woofers fit perfectly (just had t drill holes for the screws). For the tweeters I used a dremel to cut the tweeters out of their mounting plates and make holes the right size for the flush mounting cups. Worked and looked great. You cannot salvage the tweeters after this is done. This all sits behind the mesh grille, so there is no real change in look.
as for the crossovers I used zipties and tied them up under the dash
as for speaker wire, aren't you running an amp? You sill need to run wire from the amp to the crossover and then crossover to each speaker. To get the wire through the opening, cut a wire hanger and attach the wire to it with some electrical tape and use it like a needle through the stock passthrough grommett (the rubber tube between the door and the body of the truck
I had no issues with replacing the stock head unit with a few different models, but again, mine was an 02 not an 04
go to a stereo shop, they can tell you your deck installation options. There are many options on the market. Is yours a double din opening?
run the wire through the firewall at the stock passthrough grommet. It is located on the driver side.
go out and get a Haynes manual (available at auto parts stores) there are a lot of things that will help you such as how to take the stock system out, where the firewall passthrough is, etc etc etc.
good luck, those trucks are a pretty easy install job.
I had a box similar to the one you described too, you will not be dissappointed!
superboy95 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2005 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks otter.

When you say you cut the tweeters out of their mounting plate, you mean the stock tweeters, correct?  How many watts did you have going to your momos and how did they sound?

Yes I am running the Kicker 550.3 amp.  The local shop i went to said they would run wire from the amp to the stock wires behind the h/u and use the stock wire from there.

yes, aren't all gm trucks/suv's double din opening?  did you use the adapter to keep the door chimes? 

Yeah their aren't a lot of options for crew cabs without fabricating something for subs.  I hope these 10's sound good.  They have so little airspace though.  I imagine they will be loud, but not real deep.  What brand subs did you have and how much power?

Thanks again!

otter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
yes, I am referring to the stock tweeters for the cutting part. just make sure you don't go too big, you'll want to put the mounting cups for the MOMO tweeters into these holes. As I recall you can snap them into place (no adhesive needed)
The MOMOs sounded good in there. At the very least get a speaker mounting dynamat kit (those are some big doors that can create a lot of resonance.
I'm sorry, I was thinking you were talking about using the stock speaker wire to go to the speakers, not the amp (I really wasn't thinking here)
Since you seem to be worried about sound quality I would really reccomend that you get an aftermarket head unit. Using RCAs instead of high level inputs is a completely different level (especially when you are running a nice setup like you will be)
I think the double din came in in 03 mine was 1.5 din there are some other din filler optios out there other than the pocket one of which I have in my current car (06 Subaru STI) is a pocket with a door flap covering. I'll post pics in a minute, I have to post 10 times before I can post pics.
I didn't need an adapter for the door chime on mine (keep in mind this was an 02 and it could have changed, your local shop should know how to deal with this.)
I was running a pair of MbQuart reference series Dual Voice Coil 10s powered by a Fosgate Power 551s (approx 500watts total power). I listen to country, rock, and punk; not a lot of hip hop so the lack of deep play didn't bother me all that much, however there was a pretty serious roll off at just under 60Hz.
Using an RTA on my laptop I was hitting about 120db between 80 and 100 Hz, not earth shattering but loud enough and nicely accurate.
otter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  
sso after all of that I remembered that I had posted pics at a subaru site so here is the address:
http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120198
otter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 1:54 AM / IP Logged  
oh yeah, I had 75watts RMS to the MOMOs
superboy95 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 7:08 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks again.

I will be using a aftermarket sony H/U...CDX-MP70.  FYI - this is the model with the slide out tray like a cd/rom on a computer.  Had it in my boat for a couple of summers. Never heard it even attempt to skip on mp3's while pounding over the biggest waves!  Anway, I plan on using it for the winter and save up some cash for an lcd possibly.

Maybe I didn't explain my wiring question very well...Ok.  My local shop said they would run new wire from the amp (mounted on the rear wall?) to the H/U and use the stock gm wires from there to the crossovers (mounted inside the doors).  Can anyone tell me if that is a bad practice?

Anyone else care to chime in with info/experience on the '04 model? 

How about putting dynamat in chevy doors?  How much?  Where at?  Oh yeah, how about getting the door panels off? 

Thanks!

TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
I would not mount the crossovers in the doors, introduces them to too much moisture causing them to rust.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
superboy95 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  

Ok...where do you recommend?

Also can you give me any info on your deck installation?  Did you get the kit to keep the door chimes or just a wiring harness?  Any issues?

How did you mount your tweeters?

Thanks!

otter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
sorry, but I really have no idea what the shop is talking about when you say "using the stock wires to go to the speakers." I would run new wire (in a much heavier gauge than stock) from the amp directly to the speakers.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic