DVC versus SVC

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
satfiles 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2005 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  

sedate wrote:
Not sure your price range, but something like this would sound absolutely out-of-this-world mated to those Perfects... any of them... and those amps are a steal for what they do..
Sooo.. yea.. sounddomain has some really nice prices right now man... try a *pair* of the Perfect10.1d's, in a (this part is really important, I've modeled the bejezus out of this woofer, trust me here) 1.8 cft *ported* box tuned to 30-hertz. This will give you an EXTREMLY flat response curve of +-3dB from 30-80hz..
Get that PG amp up above... its not the prettiest thing in the world, but its a steal for its power supply and onboard xovers...

So, if I wired the speakers parallel and the voice coils in series according to the woofer wiring config that would create a 4 ohm load. Using the 400w X 1 PG amp would that be pushing 200 watts or 400 watts to each speaker wired like that? 400 would be beyond the RMS for those speakers. I'm not clear on how to determine the wattage output from that amp with 2 subs, opposed to 1 sub.

I guess I would have to build my own box to meet your specs.? I haven't studied that aspect yet. I have a nice table saw, mitre saw, about 7 different types of sanders and plenty of remodeling experince so it wouldn't be a problem. What do you mean by "tuned to 30hz"? I guess I'll try reading on the boxes and see if I can figure it out unless you know of a source that I can buy one from at a low price. Otherwise if it's more cost effective I wouldn't mind building it.

Thanks

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2005 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
satfiles wrote:
So, if I wired the speakers parallel and the voice coils in series according to the woofer wiring config that would create a 4 ohm load. Using the 400w X 1 PG amp would that be pushing 200 watts or 400 watts to each speaker wired like that?
Exactly correct on the wiring.
You would be pushing 200watts to each speaker. This will be plenty to run them very well. Don't worry about the RMS or whatever here.. its actually one of the less important specs.    Since we're porting them, we'll be lowering physical power handling anyway... 200watts is great place to be for long term reliablity and output with these woofers.
satfiles wrote:
I guess I would have to build my own box to meet your specs.? I haven't studied that aspect yet. I have a nice table saw, mitre saw, about 7 different types of sanders and plenty of remodeling experince so it wouldn't be a problem. What do you mean by "tuned to 30hz"?
Wow it sounds to me like you need to built your own box! I think you'd do a bang up job.
You will spend $20 on the MDF, and another $10 - $40 on things like Liquid Nail, deck screws, and Fiberglass Resin, depending on the direction you want to take your enclosure.
There are characteristics of this woofer that make building your own enclosure *highly* desirable... let alone the sense of accomplishment.. I would recommend you try it..
'Tuned to 30hz' means that you will be using a port tuned to 30hz... that is, designed with the right length and opening, to match up with the box volume to give a tune of 30hz...
If you are building your own box, you would be using something like PVC to build a port. You can also build it into the walls of your enclosure ...
Read this entire page.
And this one.
Questions?
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
satfiles 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2005 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
I'm off to bed now. I'll read everything tomorrow and message you. Thanks for all the help.
satfiles 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  

Sedate,

With the holidays I've been in and out. I'm just getting back to this reading. I see that some boxes that have 2 subs are open and others are seperated by a wall in the center of the enclosure basically making it 2 individual boxes connected together.

The 1.8cf enclosure you are talking about is 1 box for both subs that is totally open inside where both subs share the same air space?

Thanks

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged  
Uhh...
It doesn't really matter if it is seperated by a wall or not.. in terms of pre-fab boxes, this is probably to add strength to what is probably made out of particle board..
1.8cft is fine either ported or sealed... but what you need is something in the .7 - .9cft range for that sub to be happy...in fact, I'd stick with a larger sized box if you go with that PG amp, just because we'll be working so much lower than the RMS of the speaker.. If you want to port the enclosure, which for frequency response *and* output, I would certainly recommend, you will probably find a pre-fab is not what you want.. I've never found precisely tuned pre-fab boxes anywhere.. they usually have awful 'spl' tunings in the 40 - 50hz range..
Anyway, if you don't want to be bothered making your own, you can certainly purchase one, but I think you'd find any particular sealed box would work as well as any other..
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic