icon

horrible engine noise!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
billy1223 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2005 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
Ok heres the deal, i have a 2005 f150 supercrew and i had alpine type R components in the front and alpine type r coaxials in the rear running off of a vpower 4 ch amp, they were running off of the stock hu for a while and then i upgraded to a pioneer avic d1, they sounded fine well great actually. Then 2 days ago i installed a vpower mono amp and a rockford p2 in the truck. I have the power going to a distribution block and the rca's running in the exact same spot the 4ch ones are, the ground is in the exact same place it was before...but now the speakers are producing a horrible engine noise with static when the volume is all the way down, and a whine when i rev the engine. Me and 4 other installers tried everything from a-z yesterday, from running new rca's, new power, new ground, ground loop isolaters, moving the ground, moving the rcas, we dissconected the sub amp completely, and still no luck..finally we changed the 4 ch amp out and it stopped so we thought it was a bad amp and thats it problem solved, well i started driving and about 1 minute later there it was again..not as bad but now the static was worse..the whining can only be heard when volume is at 0...if anyone has anysuggestions i would well i guess we all would greatly appreciate it, thanks alot....billy
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2005 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  

if you did all that and still are having trouble than have you cleaned the grounds in the engine bay exspeacily the body grounds off the battery.

maybe when you put the extra strain on the power and ground disturobution for the vechile you cause a voltage drop at one of the ground points up front. check and clean any and every ground you can see and can't see. search!!! good luck

keep us posted.

JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
bharten 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2005 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

I don't know a whole lot about this, but I had an engine noise that was tough to track down, and it turned out my 4 GA ground wire was too long.  Picked a point on the chassis about 12" away from the distribution block and problem solved.  Seems like the higher power amps really like a ground 18" long or less.

Just my $.02.

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2005 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
bharten wrote:

I don't know a whole lot about this, but I had an engine noise that was tough to track down, and it turned out my 4 GA ground wire was too long.  Picked a point on the chassis about 12" away from the distribution block and problem solved.  Seems like the higher power amps really like a ground 18" long or less.

Just my $.02.

More than likely the reduction in length reduced the resistance for the ground. The length rule isn't always true when grounding. The important factor is having a low return resistance, so technically speaking you could have a long ground lead so long as it has very low resistance.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2005 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
you might want to check to make sure your battery is not on its last leg,    Check your voltage at the battery, and check your fluid levels in the battery if it is a wet cell.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
billy1223 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2005 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  
well thanks everyone but still no luck, grounds are clean and the battery is only 6 months old tested out to be fine....still cant figure it out..i will keep it updated and keep on troubleshooting, but suggestions are always appricated so keep on throwing em out there...thanks again.
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2005 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
factory noise isolator in the vechile?it should be near the coil packs. you said you still have the factory hu right?
JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 18, 2005 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  

There are a couple other small things you can try.  First of all, try running a reference ground from the head unit attached to the amplifiers ground.  This should get rid of any difference in voltage.  Also try running some RCA's from the deck to the amplifiers strung through the vehicle, not under the carpet and see if that gets rid of it.  If you accidently ran a screw through one of the RCA's, you will get horrible engine noise.  And finally, try running the ground all the way back to the battery.

bigste925 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2006 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
you have to use a non factory ground for the head unit.......my n1 was the same way. i did all the same things you did including a noise supressor for the rca's the one by soundgate and still have noise. also check the antenna that might be the cause too. its one of the 2 of those. happy hunting
punkur67 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
I had a similar problem in a ranger and the ground strap from the engine to the body wiggled loose. Tightened it up and problem solved. 
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic