icon

Amp Rack On Top of Subwoofer Box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hex0rz 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  

Hmmm thats interesting also! Thankfully I have'nt finished my box yet. Because these ideas keep on getting better and better! All I have to finish is the amp rack. This subject is the part thats holding me down from finishing my box. I needed more planning on placement and wiring...

Do you think you could make a picture of what your talking about stevdart? Don't quit understand. Sorry.

I made a dead space on top of my sub box. Between the box and amp rack. I put braces in between. I can use the braces for bolting points. I'm going to have to use a bolt that is small enough but long enough to mount my amp through 2 1/4 inches of wood. So like, 3 inch bolts to be safe...

Tomorrow, I will post up some pics of my box, and give you 1000 words.

Vehicle: Mazda B2200 1989 X-Cab
Audio System:
1. (2) MTX TA3401
2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
4. Eclipse Fujitsuten SC8264 Component series
5. Pioneer Premier DEH-P770MP
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

It would look something like this, from the top and the second is a side view:

Amp Rack On Top of Subwoofer Box - Page 2 -- posted image.

There would be a bit of sag in the center of the platform under the amp.  But that's what this is about.  The ride would be Caddy-like for that amp.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
hex0rz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2005 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  

Ahh, okay. Then just bolt the amp to that board?

Would you think that instead of having those lines of the wood come to them middle piece; just be one complete board instead? I would think the difference would'nt affect the amount of vibration.

Audio System:
1. (2) MTX TA3401
2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2005 at 1:47 AM / IP Logged  
Just put some shock absorbers / springs on that platform, stevdart, and you've got it made Amp Rack On Top of Subwoofer Box - Page 2 -- posted image.
VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
hex0rz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2005 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  
Just like shock absorbing systems for buildings in earthquake zones.
Audio System:
1. (2) MTX TA3401
2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
hex0rz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2005 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
One thing I just noticed... Even though plexiglass is going over this enclosure, they still can get into it if they somehow got the screws off. The bolts from the sub box to the amp board will have to be thick. I could take a dremel and cut the bolts. Then just take the amp when its still on the board!
Audio System:
1. (2) MTX TA3401
2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
hex0rz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  

Hey guys. Posting back up on this thread instead so I don't have to waste space making a new one. I have finished the box now. I went and picked up more little goodies from Car Toys. I had the chance to get my plexiglass today, but the guy does'nt want to sell it to me until I find out what I'm going to screw it down with. And more issues of whether or not I have a squared box.

Then I still have to get the material to upholster my box... I just been working lately, so things are slow.

But eh, I just braced the dead space below my amp rack. I'm gonna have some rubber bushings for the amps bolts. I will have more pics up soon. (When completely finished)

I took this pic with my camera phone so don't expect exceptional quality...

Audio System:
1. (2) MTX TA3401
2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  

Nice work.  I don't understand, though- "what I'm going to screw it down with"?  Screws, maybe?  No, seriously- just drill some holes for your screws and countersink them.  A salesman that won't sell- sounds kinda power-hungry, don't you think?

Hey, your room looks messy like mine.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
hex0rz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, thank you. It took like 4 days to complete the building process. It made me grow very impatient to the fact I barely could do alot at one time. Haha, and I still face the same problem. Still have to get the rest of the stuff and here I'am, waiting, and waiting, and WAITING! Lol, I'm dying to hear how this is going to thump!

The guy wanted to know what screw size I'm going to use so he can drill the holes for me in the plexiglass. He said no normal drill bit is going to get through it. He said to compare it to glass. I make one mistake, and its all over. I sure don't want to throw away $50 for a piece of plexiglass! He is also going to drill it right so I can countersink them.

Haha, man, you have no idea. I was on the phone with the guy and he said I had 30 min. to get down to his place or else hes gonna leave. And believe me, it did'nt sound very polite. But I guess thats what happens when you call after 5pm, haha. I got there, and man, it was even worse! He is the type of person I would call raw. I hope he does'nt talk to all his customers like he did to me. I don't think he could exclude one swear word from any sentence without dying.

Although, he was very helpful, and I'm glad he did'nt let me purchase the plexi without knowing some things first. Haha, I went to Car Toys after, and the guy I was talking to knew the plexiglass guy. He told me thats how he is. From what he says, the guy works there drunk!

Oh ya, I would'nt consider it to be messy. :) Just, cluttered. Haha!

Audio System:
1. (2) MTX TA3401
2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
hex0rz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  

I sure wish this was a subject of lecture. No, sorry, it is not. It is a subject of trial and error. I could have posted this in my existing thread about my subwoofer box and amp rack design, but I'd prefer an answer ASAP. Much help appreciated!

It is something that really is'nt thought about thoroughly because it is also routine. But it has its own category, and a book written about it. Screws!

And even people like me who have sat through classes about it, even screw up! I'll cut to the chase though. Its been a while since I have dealt with screws, and so, your mind decides to let you forget since it is'nt very important to it anymore. Well, I was affected by this. I put in an 11/64 drill bit and pre drilled my holes in for my subwoofer. Everything seemed fine until I put the screw in! The screw was the same size as the drill hole. Now from my own reasoning, I think I should have used a smaller bit for the bigger screw. So I put in a bit smaller than the existing one. Drilled new holes, and still to big! The screws go in waaaay to easy. I fear that its so loose, the screws will start backthreading itself and the sub, will fall out.

I have a couple of remedies, although. I know the answer to one of them, but unsure about the other.

1. Use a bigger screw than 11/64. (Obvisouly that would solve the problem right there...) But then I wonder.

2. Could I just put silicon over the screws? I would think that would keep them from coming out. And if I wanted to, I could peel it off and take out the screws.

I dunno, how big of an issue this is. But hey, I would assume its no laughing matter. Since the fact $500 is too much for 2 subs. You feel me!?

Audio System:
1. (2) MTX TA3401
2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic