the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Amp Rack On Top of Subwoofer Box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  

You're talking about the starter holes for the driver?  Just big enough to keep the wood from splitting.  The screws have to cut spirals through the MDF as you turn them in, and they have to reach a stopping point where you can exert a lot of torque and can't turn the screw any more.  There are no remedies for too large of starter holes, like putting chewing gum or something on the ends of the screws.  You could likely remedy a bad install of a tiny driver like a mid with wood filler or sealant, but not a hard-pounding sub.  Rotate the sub and start over, or if the logo is c**keyed and doesn't suit you, make a new baffle.

A drill bit for a starter hole can be no larger than the diameter of the screw shaft...less threads.  It should actually be slightly smaller so that the act of driving in the screw compresses the surrounding wood.  The spiral threads of the screw and the compressed wood are what hold the sub in place.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
hex0rz 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
Ya, thats what I'm saying. Ehh, well, I guess I cant have my subs logo straight...
Vehicle: Mazda B2200 1989 X-Cab
Audio System:
1. (2) MTX TA3401
2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
4. Eclipse Fujitsuten SC8264 Component series
5. Pioneer Premier DEH-P770MP
volcommag 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
how about.....for mounting the amp onto top of subbox, install rubber gromments of some sort between the amp n the box. The rubber should GREATLY dampin the vibration...correct?
hex0rz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  

Whats up. That is what I'm doing insetad.  But I'm still going to make "it float".

As for the box goes, I have got the plexiglass finished. When I go and buy all the screws and whatnot, I'm just going to get bigger screws for my sub so I can have a straight logo. The upholstery shop I go to won't be open till tomorrow. But I got to work... I think I may have it finished this weekend... :\ bummer....

I have the RCA's come out the back and them will route them to the sides of the vehicle. The other wires are going through the middle. The grounding point will be somewhere on the floor pan. I'm trying to build a console , but I need ideas. Check out the fiberglass forum, if you can help!

EDIT: Since I need to fuse the fans from the relay, I need to know where I can get the fuses to just above their amperage and something that houses the fuse. Radioshack carry something like that?

And I also upgraded the fuse on my power line from the battery! Its a 135 amp circuit breaker! It cost $50 though. He said it will never go out. Everytime its tripped, you reset it. Is'nt that just dandy?! 

Audio System:
1. (2) MTX TA3401
2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  

T-nuts are an alternative, too, if the screw holes are too big for screws.  Some box builders use these right from the start.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
hex0rz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, stevdart. I got a question for ya. When you are fitting screws, would'nt you drill a hill one size or two sizes smaller than the screw? That way its a tight fit and threads the wood. Right?
Audio System:
1. (2) MTX TA3401
2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
stevdart 
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
Well, it depends on the wood...hardwood, you drill exactly the diameter of the screw shaft.  Softwood and fiberboard, you go just a tad smaller with the bit.  I don't know about sizes.  I just eyeball them.
hex0rz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  

Haha, your amazing...

Its MDF!

Audio System:
1. (2) MTX TA3401
2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
hex0rz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  

Whats up guys. Good news. The enclosure is complete! Well, I dont have the fans installed, and the wiring for the relay to the amps finished and whatnot. The plexiglass looks so freakin' good on top! This thing sure does scream out steal me though. Haha, I gotta tint the windows heavy now with my highly invested alarm system. There is another problem although. I'm not sure whether it really is a big deal. To compensate distance from terminal cups to amp, they are sideways. Problem I found out today is that 1 bolt on each amp cannot be put it. So each only has 3 on them. I could'nt fit the nut on the bolt since the bolt is too close to the port wall and nut is too fat.

The only thing I can think of remedying it is use the extra wiring left over after I cut them down, and mount the amps parallel with the box. But, what do I do About the existing holes? I assume I can just put a silicon bead over the hole inside the cabinet?

As for the box, Well, if it were'nt black, you would see the horrible upholstery work I did'nt put my effort into. And I was also ill equipped for the job. But my hunting knife seemed to slice through the trunk carpet pretty well. Most of it by the naked eye looks seamless. But a prying eye will spot it out. Oh well, if I decide, I can just pull it all off and re-upholster it. Hey paint it! Ya!!!

I will get some high quality pictures up tomorrow hopefully. See you then!

Audio System:
1. (2) MTX TA3401
2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
hex0rz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2006 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/1370000-1370999/1370897_31_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/1370000-1370999/1370897_32_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/1370000-1370999/1370897_33_full.jpg

Here is the pics! I redid the amps and they are now parallel with the box. All 4 points of the amp are bolted. It looks better also, but from these pics, I'm sure you have an idea what I'am doing. Thanks for your help, stevdart!

Audio System:
1. (2) MTX TA3401
2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic