icon

Remote on your chin trick

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mpdej8 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2005 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  

Ok,  I was skeptical at first, but I have heard from many people about the trick of holding your remote control to your chin and it will increase the range of the remote.    I tried it and it really works.     My question is,   how and why does this work??    Will I be developing a tumor with extended use this way?    How does my chin make any difference on my remote control?

Thanks, any insight will be appreciated.

Matt

maxcat 
Copper - Posts: 211
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2005 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
the theory behind this is that because our body is grounded, it act as an antenna and creates further distance. it is not neccessarilly our chins that do anything.
Falcon 1 
Copper - Posts: 130
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2005 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  

This is from a Pro-start manual.

Troubleshooting Poor Transmitting Range Issues

Many factors may affect the operating range of the transmitter. Some of these are:

The condition of the battery in the transmitter.

The operating environment (for example: downtown radio-frequency noise, airports, cellular phone towers…)

Metal: any type of metal will affect operating range. This includes the metal in the car.

The shape of the vehicle can affect range as well; vans in general have an especially poor range.

The shape of the roof and A-pillars brings about considerable radio-frequency deflection (in this case the signal from the remote control). As a result, the direction in which the vehicle is facing in relation to the remote control can affect the range. Straight on – standing in front of the vehicle – generally gives you the greatest range; the second best performance is from the back. Using the remote control from either side of the vehicle will usually give the lowest range.

The range will be significantly lower in a crowded parking lot than in open space.

Always hold the transmitter high, approximately at shoulder height. Holding the transmitter against your chin will also increase your range: your head acts as an antenna.

The operating range will be somewhat lower on vehicles equipped with an aftermarket or factory alarm.

Windows and windshields tinted with lead or metallic tints will decrease the operating range.

Do it right the first time, only a doctor can bury his mistakes.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2005 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
My take on it was that RF frequencies are increased by liquid. The body being mostly water, acts as a booster for the signal....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2005 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
one of the mysteries of life lol
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.