2003 Toyota Corolla Alarm/Remote Start Wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
itr266 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2003 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  

Chris,

Concerning the 551-R. I will be exchanging the 551-T for the 551-R. I just have a couple of questions before I receive the unit..

What will be the activation point on the Remote Start? Will it be coming from the pulses on the wires of the powerlock and un-lock wires ?.... thus on most 2 button transmitters , both buttons are needed to be pressed for the remote start to initiate... can you confirm?

Also, as far as I've been told.. there is no disarm and arm wire on the Factory Alarm of the Corolla. With this in mind, how would I disarm the alarm before initiating the remote start and re-arming th car after it had been started?

thanks again.

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2003 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
Toyota alarms typically disarm the following ways:
turning key in lock cylinder
using factory remote
starting the car with the key
If your Corolla has the factory alarm, you will probably have to hook up to the cars key sense wire. A combination of the ignition wires being powered up and the key sense wire seing groung will disarm the factory alarm when you remote start. You will need to hook up the remote start lock/unlock wires to the car's door lock cylinder wires. That way it will arm and disarm the factory alarm when you use the aftermarket keyless entry.
itr266 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2003 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  

Chris,

As per my questions above....I was thinking...Since I don't know of any factory disarm wire..... Can I tap in the factory disarm wire to the "power-unlock" wire of the car, since unlocking the car disarms the factory alarm?  Will it work? Is it a good idea or not?

itr266 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2003 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
?
JWorm 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2003 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
I already answered your question. You don't need to hook up the disarm wire. The unlock wire of the remote start will pulse the unlock wire which will disarm and unlock the doors. You need to hook up the ground when running wire to the key sense wire (blue/black at key cylinder if I remember correctly). That will disarm the factory alarm when you remote start. Hooking up the disarm wire to the unlock wire will unlock a door whenever you remote start, which you don't really want to do.
Are you sure you have a "factory" alarm and not a "dealer installed" alarm? I don't recall ever seeing a Corolla with a factory alarm, but I've also only done a couple 2003s.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 08, 2003 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  

JWorm has it right.  Like him, I've never seen a factory alarm in a Corolla.  Are you sure you have an alarm, not just plain ol' keyless entry?  It could be an aftermarket unit installed at the car dealer, or a Toyota (VIP) alarm installed by the dealer or distributor.

In any event, the "factory alarm disarm wire" is not needed.

Locking the door with the proper lock wire arms the alarm.  (The proper wire is the one that tests by twisting the key in the door, NOT the wire that tests off the lock/unlock switch.)

Unlocking the door with the proper wire disarms the alarm. 

Sending a steady ground to the key sense wire during remote start disarms the alarm.  Use the DEI's blue "status" or blue/black "third ignition" wire for this.  No relay needed. 

JWorm 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2003 at 2:37 AM / IP Logged  
Chris, my shop had a 2003 Corolla come back again today for failing to start. Another installer first went under the hood for tach and then tried voltage sense when they came back a second time. Still having trouble starting. I hooked up to the black wire you listed and it started perfect. I told them to give me a call Thurs. to let me know how it worked. Thanks for the writeup.
itr266 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2003 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  

I probably do have the Dealer installed Alarm...

What exactly is the key sense wire??... Since I have all the connections from the 551-T, what wires will I need exactly to wire, add or alter?

I know i have to tap on the blue and green wires to the power door locks and take out the WHITE/ blue activation wire off the "green" power lock wire..

Also, if i use the 12+ power locks in the driver kick panel with the proper 12+ relay to hook up to the negative output of the remote start power locks, would I have problems remote starting the car when simultaneously pressing the 2 buttons off the transmitter ?

You guys have been such great help. I just need this to be done asap....

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 09, 2003 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
Next to all the main ignition wires, is a small two-pin plug, with the wires in black tubing...........the WHITE/ black wire is  a ground, and the blue/stripe wire is keysense.
itr266 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2003 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
thanks
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic