icon

Ipod Video?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wstsydr 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2005 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
i dont know if the correct spot for this would be here or the headunit section so i will try here first, but anyways, on to my question... i was wondering if anyone has done an ipod video installation on a headunit with a lcd screen. i know that you can buy a/v hookups for the ipod video to watch what you have on a tv, or most lcd headunits, but i was wondering if anyone has ever done it with the ipod interface and been able to watch video on the screen, the main reason is that i assume you will get better picture and sound quality thru the port on the ipod than you would thru the a/v cables plus it will charge the ipod thru the port and finally i know a lot of headunits can at least control the music thru the screen. just asking those who will probably know before i go and spend all the $$ on something that wont work how i am figuring it will work... thanks for any info you guys can give me
ron
alpine0000 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 3:38 AM / IP Logged  

I just did this two days ago. the alpine ipod adapter (420i) cannot play video from your ipod, at least i couldnt get it to. it will play the video file, but only audio comes through to the system and the video doesnt show up. i think alpine will make a new adapter to replace the 420i in the next year or so that will be able to do this.

what i did was buy http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1394 this and plug it into the headphones jack on the ipod, then plug the other end into the aux 1 input on my alpine 310 head unit. i know can watch music videos. CAREFUL - ipod changed the wire colors when using this plug. they did this to claim that you can only buy their cable. if you use any other regular cable like the one i used, then red is video (not yellow). and yellow is right audio (what the red normally is). works like a charm!

2015 4Runner TRD Pro
-Viper 5706V alarm/remote start
-Viper DBALL2 Bypass Module
-Valentine One radar detector
infinkc 
Copper - Posts: 438
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
i made my own cable, that plugs into the bottom of the ipod instead of the headphone jack. I bought a cable for video off ebay and modified it to output power to the ipod also so it wont kill the ipod battery. It has 12v input, right and left audio and video output, and it is not dependent on the audio control of the ipod, has a fixed volume level.
There are 10 types of people in the world, ones that understand binary and ones that dont.
alpine0000 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  

infinkc wrote:
i made my own cable, that plugs into the bottom of the ipod instead of the headphone jack. I bought a cable for video off ebay and modified it to output power to the ipod also so it wont kill the ipod battery. It has 12v input, right and left audio and video output, and it is not dependent on the audio control of the ipod, has a fixed volume level.

wow, can you pleasae elaborate more? id like to do this with mine. im sick of the battery dying. if you dont want to post it publicly you can PM me. id greatly appreciate any detials you can give me.

2015 4Runner TRD Pro
-Viper 5706V alarm/remote start
-Viper DBALL2 Bypass Module
-Valentine One radar detector
infinkc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
ill take a pic of the cable, im without internet for a week at home so i will have to find a way to get it online.
There are 10 types of people in the world, ones that understand binary and ones that dont.
wstsydr 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
awesome, thanks for the help guys, at least i have some idea of what i have going on, until they make a new adapter at least, but once again, thanks
mabrown 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
alpine0000 wrote:

I just did this two days ago. the alpine ipod adapter (420i) cannot play video from your ipod, at least i couldnt get it to. it will play the video file, but only audio comes through to the system and the video doesnt show up. i think alpine will make a new adapter to replace the 420i in the next year or so that will be able to do this.

what i did was buy http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1394 this and plug it into the headphones jack on the ipod, then plug the other end into the aux 1 input on my alpine 310 head unit. i know can watch music videos. CAREFUL - ipod changed the wire colors when using this plug. they did this to claim that you can only buy their cable. if you use any other regular cable like the one i used, then red is video (not yellow). and yellow is right audio (what the red normally is). works like a charm!

Yeah I just did the same thing with my AVIC-N2 and it works great!

customcutlass92 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2006 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
Would that monstercable adapter work with a RCA mp3 player?
cs015271 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
does anyone have the wiring info for the ipod harness?
based upon infinkc's post; a video cable through the ipod harness can be created to use for powering the ipod and also getting a video signal... this would be beneficial because using the video portion of the ipod drains the battery severly
infinkc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
will post up some pics and description of the cable i made tomorrow night when my internet is re-hooked up at home.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic