Alpine Type-X

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
grat81 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all,
I just received two alpine type-x 12" subwoofers today and I was going to hook them into a JBL 1200.1 at 1-ohm. Is there any problem with this?
Friends of mine mentioned that I could be at risk of serious clipping.
Please let me know what you all think.
ssnds 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
Hey grat, what type of alpine type-x do you have? dual 2, dual 4ohm/etc..  i heard the type x need a lot of power. do a search on here for type-x or alpine type,etc... that will help u out a lot. I know i did some research on it a few months ago.
SSounds
eklipz17 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  

That JBL amp doesn't do 1ohm, only 2 and 4. I have that same amp.

Also, isn't the type x subs 1,000wrms a piece? If so, then that jbl amp wouldn't be powerful enough for 2. You could get 1 type x, make sure it's 4ohm DVC so you can wire it in a 2ohm load, get that jbl amp, and run it at 2ohms and get 1114wrms. A little over power, but fine if you don't abuse it.

grat81 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys,
I am positive that the jbl bp1200.1 does one ohm (says so in the manual). Also pumps a little more wattage at one ohm, nearly 1375 if I remember correctly.
The alpine type x's that I have are dual 4-ohm. They run on 1000 watts rms (max) 3000 watts peak... pushing 1375 into two gives me roughly 700 per sub wish should be plenty. I am NOT going to run these things full-power all day long like those jerks in their Grand Marqoius so I am not concerned with killing my amp.
I don't know what it is with people on forums. Everyone assumes you HAVE to put max power into every subwoofer :) These things are given a certain power range for a reason. Just because the rms max is 1000 watts doesn't mean you must put 1000 watts into it at all times.
I was just worried about these subs being too much. I am a little reluctant to run the JBL at one ohm but we'll see what happens when I install them next week. I'll keep ya posted :)
grat81 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
here it is, the pdf of the manual. 1 ohm stable, allthough the manual claims there is no increase in voltage at one ohm, it is under-rated (so say other posts)
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/CAR/Owner%27s%20Manual/bp_om.pdf
check it out and let me know what you think :)
eklipz17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  

That JBL amp will only do 2 and 4ohms. Read page 7 of that link you sent. I'm pretty sure the JBL amps are only 2 and 4ohms stable.

That amp will do 600wrms @ 4ohms and 1200wrms @ 2ohms.
http://www.cardomain.com/item/JBLBP12001
The only way you can wire those subs to that amp is the 4ohm load, since dual 4ohm subs can't be wired in a 2ohm load. So you'll be giving each sub 300wrms.

You could do it that way, or just use 1 sub and get the 2ohm load. Or you could find a bigger amp.

eklipz17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
Also, like the person mentioned above, the type x's need alot of power to make them sound good, so giving them 300wrms each would be a bad way to go. Not to bash you or anything, but if it was me, I'd just use 1 type x and give it 1200wrms. Or if you really wanted to use both subs, find a bigger amp. Or get the same jbl amp, and run the amps to each sub @ 2ohms.
grat81 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
eklipz, apparently you aren't seeing what I am seeing in the owners manual. Look below the specified wattages for 4 ohm, 2 ohm, ect -- and look at the "minimum speaker impedance" (just below those specs) -- on the bp1200.1, the minimum is 1 OHM. Therefore, You could either:
a) hook up a 1 ohm sub to the system and be ok or
b) hook up a combination of subs to the system that equalled one ohm, such as 2 4+4 ohm subs in parallel
I'm hooking these up at one ohm, and the amp will be stable. If I need more power, I'll get some later ;)
ddsubman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
grat81 wrote:
Hello all,
I just received two alpine type-x 12" subwoofers today and I was going to hook them into a JBL 1200.1 at 1-ohm. Is there any problem with this?
Friends of mine mentioned that I could be at risk of serious clipping.
Please let me know what you all think.
-g
Gettin' deafer by the day.......96' GMC yukon-Eclipse CD 5442HU
MA Audio HK4000D-Digital Designs 9515F
150+db with one woofer...DD rules!!!!
ddsubman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry for the double post, screwed the first one up.

If you "know" the amp will run at one ohm, and  "know" what you want to do, what's your question? You sound like you already know everything you need to about your setup to make your own decision.

Gettin' deafer by the day.......96' GMC yukon-Eclipse CD 5442HU
MA Audio HK4000D-Digital Designs 9515F
150+db with one woofer...DD rules!!!!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic