icon

first FG project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ssnds 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  

Alright. Took a journey through wal-mart. Bought a can of resin ($10.87), bought a 3ft. 1/4'' doll rod, 2yards of some fleece($5) and a small peice of wood roughly 4''x6''.

took the doll rods and cut two to the size of 5'' and cut two to the size of 3''. hot glued them onto the wood. took my fleece and covered it. glued one side. and finished the other sides.. one by one.

mixed my resin with the hardener. applied the mix.

the fleece really soaks it up doesn't it.

after the mix was applied the fleece started to sag. should i have used double layers? this is only an experiment project to see how to work with FG.

i'll do my research on the search engine here. hope to get some help also.  thanks

SSounds
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
You probably didn't stretch the fleece tight enough, so the weight of the resin made it sag. Also, if you ran over the edges with the resin (where the fleece is glued to the wood), you might have loosened the fleece somewhere from the heat of the resin. Good luck! first FG project -- posted image.
Im a fiberglass whore!!
StlS_Ron 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
im wrapping up my first project right now and found if you dont stretch it enough it sags.  stretch too much it pulls loose..  happy medium.  also i used hot glue to adhear the material to the mdf.  worked wonderfully.
Ya my radio sucks.
Oh by the way I cant spell!!!
darthness 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
hot glue seems like it'd be alot more trouble then it should... i'td be easier just to staple it..
anyway i also played with fiberglass today, only not as extensively as you guys did. took some scrap MDF and mixed up a little resin/hardener and stuck it to the wood. amazing yeah i know, but this is my first time seeing all of this stuff :D
i havn't quite decided what i want to do.
g-twizzl 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
i agree, just staple it.
i've just finished my 1st project but i used a 1/4" thick polyester carpet w/o backing instead of fleece and this stuff streches pretty easily. it also saoks up resin like a friggin sponge; one layer and i killed a half gallon of resin!
first FG project -- posted image.
first FG project -- posted image.
Glowinlow22 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  

My first project, i just used some fleece i picked up in the scrap bin of wal mart, a nice dark navy blue, made some calculations and stretched the fleece nice and snug over the project and stapled it down, worked like a charm i have pictures somewhere if anybodies interested. 

Wow 1/4 inch thick material, when i used my fleece that stuff sucked up a cup of resin, which i was using the smaller paint cups i think that worked out to 16 ozs ,  i know when my box was all finished it worked out to be about a 1/4" thick, of course it was only a small 200 watt 10" rockford sub so i wasnt to worried about it.

J~

g-twizzl 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
coo i've been thinking of using fleece on my next project cuz i think i can get tighter curves--only thing i dont like about the fleece ive found is that it streches one way really good, but doesn't strech the other way very good. btw do you have any pix?
pmendoza408 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
can i get some pictures? Pmendoza408@hotmail.com
ssnds 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
yea.. another thing i noticed was.. having creases in the fabric.. do u have to stretch them out?
SSounds

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic