Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
g tres 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  

gus 1,

Your diagnosis was absolutely correct.

I pulled the HU on Wednesday and found the BROWN / white wire on the factory harness plugged in to the blue/white wire on the aftermarket harness just as you said. I did some minor re-wiring and re-installed the HU. It took until today to get by a shop to see if the OBD scan would work. It did and the CEL was reset. Now all I have to do is find out why the CEL comes on repeatedly for the same thing-emission loss/leak (slow leak). It'll be somewhat easier now that the OBD is working again.

Your input was invaluable. Please accept my sincere thanks for your willingness to share your knowledge and expertise. I am in your debt.

G Tres
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
What motor? I may be able to shed some light on this as well......
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
g tres 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
The motor is the 2.0 liter, 5-speed trans. The throttle body was changed by the dealer just before we purchased since the car wouldn't idle with the A/C running. The auto shop that did the TBI said he thought the problem was related to the gas cap not put tightly enough after re-fueling. Taking that info, I noticed the gas cap was not the original and bought the correct one from VW. At the same time I replaced the plastic end on the dip stick tube was also broken. I had the CEL reset with both of these items changed and the light stayed off for 6 days, came on for 1 day, went off again for 2 days and came back on. Since the OBD works again, as previously stated, I had the CEL reset Saturday. My son called on his way to school today and said it was back on. VW seems to think it's something like a hose with a crack or pinhole causing the problem, which they weren't able to scan the car as you already know from my original post. I'm sure they can now since the OBD funtions again, but if you have any suggestions, I would appreciate your input.
G Tres
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, it does sound like a vaccuum problem.
Check all of the vaccuum hoses very carefully.... an old trick is to carefully mist some WD40 or Brakleen along any suspect hose. When the motor revs up from sucking in the solvent, you found your leak. The other thing to try is use a normal hand suction pump to pull a vaccuum on the system, and carefully listen for any leaks.
The other thing to check is if the TPS (throttle position sensor) was properly aligned and learnt to the computer when it was swapped over.   Did the dealer give you any indication as to the codes they pulled from the car when they scanned it? Even a code number would help.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
g tres 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  

The only code number I know of was from the guy I know at a shop nearby. Seems like it was 402 (I can double check this since the CEL is on again), which he looked up and got the "emission leak/loss (slow leak)" diagnosis. This was the same diagnosis given by the shop the car dealer uses. When I was at VW they said they can pinpoint the exact location. How, I don't know unless their approach is wholesale parts changes to "pinpoint" the problem area.

I can certainly take the car back to the shop the dealer uses, or call the guy at the shop that did the work and ask him about the TPS alignment and computer read at installation. There may be something there. If this can be solved without VW that would save me their $76 diagnostic charge which is not applicable to the cost of the repair. While I'm not opposed to spending money to have this problem found and repaired, I was rather surprised at this particular VW dealerships policy of two separate charges for the same problem. That's not typical for other car dealerships in this area.

I'll keep you posted and thanks again.

G Tres
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic