< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brentmck66 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
Searched,
I checked all the grounds, they are good and secure
All connections are tight
Input sensitivity on the amp is set to 2 volts (same as deck outputs)
Gain is set to about 75%
I STILL get the popping noise when the headunit loses power. I had the exact same amp before this and did not have any popping noises. What is causing this.
brentmck66 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
I think that the remote turn on wire on my deck is wearing out. I turned my deck on let it run, and then turned it off and watched the light on my amp, it stayed on for about a second after I turned the deck off, at the same time that the amp turned off, it made the "pop" noise.
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  

is the pop noise coming from the amp itself or through the speakers?

brentmck66 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
The pop noise is coming only through my sub, it is the only thing in my car that Is amped, the speakers are running off of the deck. I had this same amp before set up the same way, and had no problems. Phoenix gold r4.0:2
brentmck66 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 3:49 AM / IP Logged  
Could low quality RCA cables be the cause of this?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

First thing to do is make sure the amp gain is set correctly;  not by looking at a 2V marking on the amp but by using test tones and listening for the clipped signal.  You could get this symptom with too high of gain.  The deck output, too, has to be set using this procedure.  More info on that:  gain search

Next, if the problem still exists, is to disconnect the turn-on wire from the amp.  Run a new, temporary wire from a 12V source in the car so that the amp powers on when the car is on.  Turn on the deck now and see if there is a pop.  Quick and dirty method, if there is no pop now then you just wire the amp's turn on into the 12V acc and leave it at that.  Remove or tape off the turn on wire that is attached at the deck.

answers:  No, the remote wire would not be "worn out".  Either it allows turn-on, which means it is functioning, or it doesn't.  In your case it is functioning.

No, the RCA cables are either providing a signal or they are not.  In your case they are.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  

when you turn your car off, the voltage changes right?  does the alternator shut off and then everything still on is powered by the battery - could this cause popping?

boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic