Best Buy Installer dress code?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mad550 
Copper - Posts: 201
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
shyne151 wrote:

Just some comments from a circuit city installer(let the flaming beginBest Buy Installer dress code? - Page 5 -- posted image.).

So you guys have no points system what so ever? you just get a flat hourly rate?  I was always told we hired in making more money than you guys... and all you are talking about hiring in at 10-13 an hour(maybe location plays into this?)... well I only hired in at $9.75... mind you with our points system it usually works out higher.

Also, does best buy furnish tools for you guys or do you all just bring your own?  I know I have my own box just because the tools at the location i'm at now are half missing. 

I think are the whole patches things for your name tags is an awesome idea.  The damn name tag I have to wear is a magnet one and I've probably lost 4 of them in the last couple months alone.  The whole wearing no belt thing?? is that really true?  I mean we use fender covers, and now have new "pit" shirts which we wear untucked, so it covers our belts... but even before with our old collared shirts we always had to have a belt on. 

I also see it's easy to get away with side jobs(manager dependent i guess) with different sku's and doodie.  My manager doesn't care so much if I bring up a buddy's car and work on it.. but at my old shop we weren't ever allowed to do anything like that.  Once again manager dependent I guess.

I can't believe the pay is so low in the US here at our shop we are all on $18-20 an hour plus commision

WOW Sight and Sound
Maroochydore
Nothing is impossible!
Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
overworked2 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged  
mad the cost of living here in the US is much lower then in Australia. Having been a n installer in both countries I've found it to be fairly equal.
Check all advice given with a meter
mad550 
Copper - Posts: 201
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  

Ah fair enough

WOW Sight and Sound
Maroochydore
Nothing is impossible!
Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
bazzgazm 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  
I was at circuit city also. We generally hire in at 8-9 an hour with no experience. 10-13 w/ exp. depending. but with the lack of a bonus structure that's it.
Honestly, Circuit city and best buy install bays do not really compete... totally different atmosphere.
you guys speed rush in tons of stuff to make your daily budget, which.. in my area is 2x that of my budget. Mainly because the keep 2x the people in order to rush in whatever they can find each day.
I kinda like not having to worry if my 10 dollars an hour is going to be 13 with bonus, and just make 12 bucks and call it a day.
Also, Is your aussie pay converted to usdollars?
let's start some complaining now.
the HIGHEST i've seen a non-manager installer @ best buy make hourly is 18.50
which i believe is cap for 1st class/silver whatever. pay rate.
so.
i'm sure some of you will go "holy crap, i work there, i'm silver certified, i make 13" but that's just how the cookie crumbles.
some NEW GUY at my shop *cough* just got a raise for something i was told i didn't get a raise for =)
i'm sure he'll read this then go "why you bring me up for" or something to that decree.
I try to explain the installer deals with the management here.. how we can be civil to them, we don't have to brag if our store is kicking their stores but and so forth. but they just don't get it. all in all, we as installers should stick together and help them out. I don't like to see people setting off airbags on cars cause they're not familiar.. i'd rather get that call and hear "hey, i've seen you here, and i know you know a few of the guys here.. can you help me"
although
sometimes.
you wish that jack-ass at the last place would stick his head out and cut the yellow harness while the cars running =)
cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2006 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  

I guess it's time for me to add my 2 cents too.  I too am an installer at bestbuy.  Been at my store since it opened in 02.  I am also the only person left between install and the sale floor that opened the store.  Back when we opened we had a great staff, everyone got along with each other and everyone knew what they needed to know to get the job done.  We had a great time at work, and our numbers were always tops in the company.  We went through some changes people got promoted, fired, and quit.  So we wound up with a completely new staff.  Of course no one knew really knew anything about the equipment, so it came down to me, still just a peon installer, to get everyone up to speed.  Well it only works when everyone actually pays attention and is willing to learn.  I've spent probably 50+ hours putting together papers on identifying cars with amps in them properly selling extra parts needed for remote starts and such.  Things of that nature.  Of course no one pays any attention so I get at least a dozen calls a day about if this car has an amp, what has do be done to put an overhead in a vehicle.  I have to turn my cell off on my days off anymore just so I don't end up with another $150+ bill.  Oh and heaven forbid I have to stop by work to pick up some tools.  I have never been able to get out without spending at least an hour having to explain how to do something to one of the other installers.

The other thing that aggrivates me about this place is the apparent complete lack of anyone really caring about carfi and install.  We always seem to be the redheaded stepchild of Best Buy.  It seems to me that the big wigs would rather pay the probably $100000+ in yearly damage claims than actual proper training.  Case in point, we had a home theater/mobile  installer training this past summer.  I wound up going for the whole day since my car is the biggest and has navi.  The home theather end of the training was very informative and interactive.  So we break for lunch come back for the modile end of it, and I was expecting something along the lines of the morning.  Nope, had a couple of vendors trying to explain how their products worked and how they would make the customers lives easier.  Ended up we, the installers, were correcting the incorrect information the vendors were stating.  Yeah Best buy prides themselves on the whole MECP certified installers ok sure.  The probelm is that it's just a piece of paper.  It means the person is good at memorizing and taking tests.  The best buy certification is a good idea, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.  You can print the exam, fail it, print it again with the correct answers, and ace it 2 weeks later.  Not that I've done that, though I do know some who have.

I could go on and on for hours, but I'll stop now.  I'll probably end up losing my job over this, but I guess that's life.  Don't get me wrong I love my job.  I love the expression from a customer when their car remote starts for the first time.  I lke the look in the kids face when he cranks the system I put in for the first time and his friends are jealous.  I absolutely love doing something for a customer that other shops say can't be done.  Especially when they go show the shop and I get a call from them asking me how I did it.  Yes there are customer's that will not let any one other than me work on their cars, but don't all installers have people like that?  Well I guess that's it for my rant now.  Oh since I noticed that there is someone from corporate on these boards, to make your job easier should you decide to can me.  I work at store 475 in brick.

Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2006 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  

everything that cntrylvr79 said, ditto for me. store #036, independence, mo.

spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2006 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  

bazzgazm wrote:
I was at circuit city also. We generally hire in at 8-9 an hour with no experience. 10-13 w/ exp. depending. but with the lack of a bonus structure that's it.
Honestly, Circuit city and best buy install bays do not really compete... totally different atmosphere.
you guys speed rush in tons of stuff to make your daily budget, which.. in my area is 2x that of my budget. Mainly because the keep 2x the people in order to rush in whatever they can find each day.
I kinda like not having to worry if my 10 dollars an hour is going to be 13 with bonus, and just make 12 bucks and call it a day.
Also, Is your aussie pay converted to usdollars?
let's start some complaining now.
the HIGHEST i've seen a non-manager installer @ best buy make hourly is 18.50
which i believe is cap for 1st class/silver whatever. pay rate.
so.
i'm sure some of you will go "holy crap, i work there, i'm silver certified, i make 13" but that's just how the cookie crumbles.
some NEW GUY at my shop *cough* just got a raise for something i was told i didn't get a raise for =)
i'm sure he'll read this then go "why you bring me up for" or something to that decree.
I try to explain the installer deals with the management here.. how we can be civil to them, we don't have to brag if our store is kicking their stores but and so forth. but they just don't get it. all in all, we as installers should stick together and help them out. I don't like to see people setting off airbags on cars cause they're not familiar.. i'd rather get that call and hear "hey, i've seen you here, and i know you know a few of the guys here.. can you help me"
although
sometimes.
you wish that jack-ass at the last place would stick his head out and cut the yellow harness while the cars running =)

*cough cough* Why you bring me up for?....Whats funny is that I fought that thing like a act of congress trying to get that raise that I wasnt even supposed to get.

I agree,managment does need to stick they're heads into our world and see what should or should not be changed.Maybe when they come back there we can ask for help,"Hey...lean in that car and yank that yellow loom outta there"......I'd love to see someone airbagged,ha

sS

junior40er 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
it seems like the topic is going off. I was an installer for bout 4 years before I started working in avionics. I dresses with slacks and a polo shirt. basically you dont want amy metal objects around your waste so thats one reason they dont want you to wears jeans. other than thatits pretty much common sense. Oh and dont get the habit of having tools in your pocket. Go to sears and you find tool bag for cheap so you can have you main used tools with you inside the car.
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

hate to keep this *off topic* but nouseforaname, after that new switch and mobile sales/DI/and Wireless merge, we're trying to get all the guys crosstrained and bringing a few of em back to the bay to see how we actually do things,that might help up out a little bit around the X-mas season so we can get a few other guys prepping harnesses and simple kits an cages while we run from car to car....another thing I'd like to add having a display w/ factory speakers vs aftermarket speakers to show the comparasion is a great idea....I wont take credit for that....thats BazzGazm, just a great idea to toss around.

sS

black86gti 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2006 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  

best buy dress code at my store is strictyl inforced. if i come out from under a dash and my shirt is untucked and a manager sees it they say some thing about it.

As far as best buy politics yes i agree with what other have said they suck. but you can learn to deal with them. E-compasses are the dumbest thing ive ever had to do working as a installer or mechanic basicly they have nothing to do with what my job is. the last e-compass i took was the mp3 to car test and it was over products that our store doesnt even have in stock. this being the blitz safe adapters im not sure if we are just waiting for them or what.

Our bay hasnt recived parts (crimp caps, zip ties etc etc) in over 2 months. we are waiting on the orders and its to the point we dont have the items to do the install at the higest quality due to not having things we need.

best buy install is a good place to learn the basic skills needed to really get into this industry. ive been with best buy for almost a year and this is my last week because im feed up with the crappy hours, bad pay, same day installs,along with a few other things ive noticed at least at my store. I know the same day installs are some thing we have to do but when you have a full schedual book and are maybe even double booked with one installer covering the bay, same day drops are the biggest pain in the ass ever and should not be mandatory or at least done at some kind of profit for the company. I think if best buy wants to keep its installers longer and not have the turn around on people in the bay they will eventualy need to pay their people better and create a system that gives each installers a constant amount of hours. My hours jump + or - 10 hrs every week it seems.

Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic