icon

fiberglass enclosure for 2 12inch subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Trevdawg 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2006 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
    I started to fiberglass an enclosure for 2 12inch subs and did not lay enought polyester over it. I would upload a pic but i can't get it going for some odd reason. But i need help, should I just rip it all off and start that over.  Or can I fiberglass a skull and put the skull in the area of the missing polyester. Can i do this and have it work out or should i not try it at all. Any ideas or commets would help.
1qwkfox 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2006 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
send the pics to grillen85@yahoo.com
I'll put them up for you ..
jfunk06 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  

Lay enough ployester over it??  Im not understanding what you meen.  There is always a way to fix it.  You just have to think, how much time and money have i put into it.  How much more time and money will it take to fix it.  And, if the second is more than the first, just start over!  FB is the easiest thing to fix though.  Like metal, you can always weld more on, with FB, you can always add more on. 

If the actual shape was compromised, you would have to work your way out of the hole.  Put a layer half on and half covering the hole, all the way around the hole.  Than do it again. You can continue doing this from the inside till its covered, then go over the outside with a layer fully covering the hole.  Keep doing that until its equal with its surrounding, then lay one final layor over it all to ensure its all together.  Then, continue with the smoothing!! :)

Govenor of Jimcinati
93' GMC Safari XT
1qwkfox 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
From the looks of the pictures he means he didn't have enuff fleece ? maybe I dunno you take a look lol ..
fiberglass enclosure for 2 12inch subs -- posted image.
jfunk06 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
O man, that sucks.  You never really did anything?  Why not start over??  If your fabric ripped, its either too thin, or your stretching it too much.  Just start over.  Unless you can stratch it out and over the surrounding pieces.  If you can get a staple or two on the bottom go for it.  If not, dont waste your time, it will become much more of a pain then its worth!
Govenor of Jimcinati
93' GMC Safari XT
jfunk06 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
And for future projects, use MDF instead of Particle Board.  It might be 5-10bux more expensive, but well worth the price! :)
Govenor of Jimcinati
93' GMC Safari XT
Trevdawg 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  

I can staple it to the center but it will not be real tight or anything b/c that is where it is all lose. I will probably redo it today. 

But if I start to lay resin, how long do you guys think it will take to harden with the weather being 30 to 40 degrees here in the suburb of chicago?

Can one of you guys could give me your screennames so i can talk to you and ask questions instead of posting.

Trevdawg 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
Well i put the resin on the fleec and am just waiting for it to harden. I took a picture but will try to upload it tomorrow.
ragoal12 
Copper - Posts: 135
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  

TREVDAWG wrote:
   But if I start to lay resin, how long do you guys think it will take to harden with the weather being 30 to 40 degrees here in the suburb of chicago?

um ya thats not exact temps for laying resin in.. i would suggest waiting cause you will have to use alot of hardner and you will have to work very fast with it and things never go good when your forced to work fast...  and once its cured with it that cold it could crack cause once you resin it your going to have to bondo over it to smooth it and i've worked with that stuff when its that cold but once the weather heats up all of your work will crack.. so its alot of time wasted...  just go back to the fabric store buy another yard of fleece.. rewrap your piece and then weight for the weather to warm up.. so u don't wasted time and money..

S.O.B custsoms.. South Omaha, Nebraska
Trevdawg 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
Damn it
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic