icon

1997 Grand Cherokee, remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dale97jgc 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee with an Airwolf 20096 2-way R/S installed with a DEI 455T bypass module.  I have everything working fine, but unfortunately, the remote says that the engine is running already even though it isn't, so it won't start the car.  When you do press the start button, it gives and error code that says "Stop Engine Failed".  One other member has stated that he has the same exact problem with his 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same R/S.  I just spent over 2 hours on hold with DEI Technical Support when the battery on phone died.  Can anyone help us?  I've been trying to figure this thing out for three days now.  Thanks for your help.
catalin capota 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
Don't you love DEI... come on I know you all do.
Disconnect the tach signal on the alarm and see if that helps. If it does, if the remote doesn't show that the car is running then you didn't connect it in the right place.
If it still shows that it's running with the tach signal disconnect, then there's something wrong with the alarm.
dale97jgc 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
I didn't connect the tach, I used the voltage sense method.  The tach was too difficult to get to.
dale97jgc 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, DEI Tech Support sucks.  I've been on hold for almost 5 hours, and it's actually past their service times, so I'm wondering if I should bother holding any longer.  I tried leaving a message on their answering service, but their mailbox is full.  Do people have that many problems with DEI products that their tech support can't keep up?  Anyways, if they can't help me, hopefully one of you out there can.
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

Tach SignalGRAY/WHITEAT IGNITION COIL OR PCM *

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
dale97jgc 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
The wiring diagram says that the PCM is located on high on the firewall on the passenger side.  I take that to mean somewhere under the dash, right?  Or is it located in the engine compartment.  If it is under the dash, I don't even know if it will be worth it to try and take out the glove box to try and find it, not when this has a "no-tach" method.  That's what I'm using now.  I have the the voltage sense wire connected to the +12V that comes off of one of the cigarette lighters that has power to it no matter what position the key is in.  Should I suck it up and try connecting it to the tach wire and see if that makes it work?
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  

TACH:

Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Located On Passenger Rear Of Engine

More Reliable than Voltage Sense

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
mlaemers 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  

Well I have just waited over 4hours and 8 minutes on hold with DEI. They finally gave up on me and told me to leave a voice mail.

I also used voltage sense. I have disconnected each wire from connector  7 one at a time, except for the brake+ wire. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to disconnect the RS if it did start. When I experimented by disconnectcing  connector 7 off from the brain, I made sure my key transponder wasn't bypassed. That way it will start and die three times and disconnect. As mentioned in my previous post, disconnecting connector 7 which are all input signals to the brain, allowed the car to start. I tried disconnecting each of my 4 inputs I do use one at a time except for the brake+ signal. I will try to disconnect the brake+ wire tomorrow to see if that starts the car. I don't think it is the absense of a tach signal. If it wasn't present it would just default to the time limit on cranking. It would not prevent a start. It has to be some sort of inhibit signal input on connector 7. I only use Brake+, door trigger-, voltage sense, and parking light . I am not using any other input signals, those wires have been taped up. Maybe there is a sneak path on the brake+ input inhibiting the start. I will install the hood pin sense, after I figure out how to get the remote to stop thinking the car is running and the car actually starts. Does anyone know what the error code       OF ER  "Stop starting failed" means? Considering the voltage sense wire, when disconnected, didn't start the car, I'm thinking the brain is bad. If so, how do yo get an RMA? They make it impossible to contact them. 

One other note, I see on Designtech web site they talk about initializing their other RS products. They give no such instructions on the Air Wolf.

Mike L
dale97jgc 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, I connected the green tach wire to the gray/white wire coming off of the coil.  Now the Jeep at least attempts to start.  It will either engage the starter for about 0.5 sec and then disengage, or it will engage for about 3 secs, but won't start.  When I start it with the key, it takes at most about 1.5 sec of cranking to start.  Any thoughts on this new issue?
dale97jgc 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
I'm tempted to believe that for some reason the fuel pump isn't coming on when the R/S engages, but what would control that?  It's the only thing that I can think of that would keep it from starting.  I know that it's cranking long enough for it to start.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic