icon

subwoofer box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
624robbie 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  

i was wondering if i build a sub box for 3 kicker comp vr 10"s for a 77 chevy truck now i will glue the ends together but should i use drywall screws or will a finish nail gun to the job     thanks rob 

rob
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
use glue and screws or nails. the glue is what will hold the box together. the nails or screws just hold it until the glue sets up. if you use screws be sure to drill pilot holes so you don't split the mdf.
Big Dave
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
yeah just built my box recently, also, for pilot holes, make sure if there is nothing behind where you are drilling, examplt, for a sub, put a chunk of wood under it and just hold it, that way the drill will make a nice exit through the wood without chippin it off where it comes through.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
electrostatic 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
I would recommend using course drywall screws in mdf. drilling pilot holes and countersinking the screws.   nails tend to withdraw overtime when subjected to vibration. wood glue or caulking will serve to seal your seams (haha), while the screws will make for a mechanical connection. also consider sealing both inside and outside of your box otherwise the mdf may become saturated by moisture overtime altering its frequency response. reinforce the box with internal ribs to reduce panel deflection and account for the ribs additional volume when calculating box size. nails do have there purpose when assembly a box. use small nails such as 4d finish to tack the box together and then go back and screw it.
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
Glue IS what holds the box after the first day of drying probably. ask anyone who builds alot of boxes. Use tons of it. go to my webpage on my profile and page 3 to see how it should be ooozing out, i have alot of build pictures of my box recently made.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
i built a box 2 years ago for my mtx 12" 8000's (a pair) and i used wood glue and nails...and it's still as air tight at the day i built it.....the nails never backed out, personally, i beleive that the nails get held in there by the glue as well. once the nail goes through the wood the glue seeps into the gaps made by the nail and dried there holding the nail from movieing....anyone able to back that thought?
Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
that is true that the nail is held in by a little glue. you can use glue and nails for a reasonably strong sub but when you get into the really strong subs you NEED to use screws to hold it securely together so it doesn't blow apart. in your case nails should work fine. but in my opinion you should always use screws gust to make sure that it will be as strong as possible. it is gust for the installers that have a time limit to work with and don't want to take the time to do the screws unless it is absolutely necessary to use them. but if you are like me then gust go ahead and take your time and make it really good and strong. when i say strong im taking about multiple subs in a box that has around 3,000 and up watts going into them.
Aaron
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
The glued parts of the box will be the strongest parts of the box for the life of the box.  If I had an air nailer I wouldn't bother with screws.  But I don't...so I use screws and glue.  You could even use bar clamps if you want to and do without the nails/screws altogether...but you have to wait on drying time that way.  And I don't kick these boxes out every day, either.  It's just a once-in-awhile project in my case.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic