the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

How to make Sound Deadener?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2006 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
I used a water soluable putty-like roof sealer from Lowe's. It comes in a white bucket from the AC installation and accessories aisle - like 5 pounds for 6 bucks. (Don't bother trying to look it up on their website, as the Lowe's website is the biggest turd I have ever seen, as far as search capabilities.) It's white, fibrous, sticks to ANYTHING (permanently), cleans up with water, and is non water soluable once dried. Dump it a bigger bucket, and mix in silica sand - A 100 pound bag of that'll cost ya like 3 dollars... I used a 50/50 (by volume) mixture, and it works like a champ!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jfunk06 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2006 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
I used a water soluable putty-like roof sealer from Lowe's. It comes in a white bucket from the AC installation and accessories aisle - like 5 pounds for 6 bucks. (Don't bother trying to look it up on their website, as the Lowe's website is the biggest turd I have ever seen, as far as search capabilities.) It's white, fibrous, sticks to ANYTHING (permanently), cleans up with water, and is non water soluable once dried. Dump it a bigger bucket, and mix in silica sand - A 100 pound bag of that'll cost ya like 3 dollars... I used a 50/50 (by volume) mixture, and it works like a champ!

Can you further explain this?  Where you put it, its strength when dried.  Did you use it for deadening, or for giving your panels ridgity?

For putting more mass into my panels, i use "Great Stuff" brand expandable foam.  I have a van so ive already gone through about 20cans, but for a car, just putting it in some problematic places, youlle be happy with the results.  Its usually 4-5dollars a can.  You can also use a Green Can brand from Wal-Mart, which was only 3 dollars a can. 

Govenor of Jimcinati
93' GMC Safari XT
customcarchris 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2006 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
Go to raammat.com and get some of that.
I searched forever to find the right stuff and ended up buying this. It's rubber backed, not tar, so it doesn't smell, and it sticks like mad! You actually need to make sure you want it on something before you put it on. Some paint thinner will dissolve it and release it, but I haven't tried that, only to clean my tools.
Expanding foam helps to fillthe empty spaces that can cause wind whistling and things like that, so you can put that in your rails and such.
I wouldn't recommend truck bed coating, it does not have enough mass to it to make that much of a difference that this other stuff will, I had it on my doors first and still had to go with the raammat.
robdunstan 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2006 at 3:36 AM / IP Logged  

if you are looking for some cheap alternatives, then try these solutions:

a dynamat replacement is to simply use roofing shingles applied with roofing tar.  this is all dynamat is,  dynamat is just in a sheetform with an adhesive backing.

to silence road noise, use carpet padding (yes, the stuff under the carpet in your house). install it under your factory carpet with the bonded side up ( one side will have a clothlike clear webbing attached to the foam and the other side will not).  i actually used this method to quiet a notoriously loud mustang that i competed with many years ago.

6061dyson 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2006 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
stevdartwrote:
jl_jeep19, if you were capable of manufacturing your own you wouldn't be asking how to do it on an internet forum. Buy it like everybody else does.
How to make Sound Deadener? - Page 2 -- posted image.
With all respect as you are a Platinum member, don't stamp on the guy's balls to be adventurous! He could be a genius for all we know! How to make Sound Deadener? - Page 2 -- posted image.
88_red_dakota 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2006 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  

memphis11223344 wrote:
yea it is. i do the in the mobile install at best ive been there for 3 years and for a x-threme bulk pack its only like 34.87 when normaly its 93.99. but if you dont want to go that route then go on ebay and type in dynamat and get this stuff called b- quite it works like a charm. just make sure yo uhave a heat gun

ok, it looks like im going the b quiet route. What do you need a heat gun for? For working it in the corners?

firstrax 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2006 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
veovius 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
My friend's got rolls and rolls of this neoprene mat stuff, he says he used it to deaden his old pickup, I wonder if would be good enough to deaden my taillights?  The mat's about 1/8" thick, i think
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic