icon

Remote Start, 2000 Expedition

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
96hawkcnvt 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
Just installed a remote start in this vehicle. Things appear to be working okay with just some slight programming issues that still need to be addressed. Anyway, the vehicle is running different than before. It already had somewhat of an issue with a miss in the engine or something and the check engine light had already been on. After the install, it is missing worse and the check engine light has flashed on a couple of occasions (hasn't done it before) which of course means that it's a more serious issue.
The one other problem is that the 4WD light came on for awhile too. When the engine was shut down, a click was heard (relay of course) and when restarted the 4WD light was off (normal) again.
I had chalked the extra miss up to the fact that I washed the engine bay out before the install and probably just got some moisture somewhere. But a day later it is still the same.
Any ideas at all? I'm not a pro by any means but have recently done 3 others and have not had any engine issues... It could be a coincidence but I doubt it.
Thanks!
Todd
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
Did you power both the gray / YELLOW and RED / black wires up as accessory?
sparky
96hawkcnvt 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply.
Nope, I think that I just powered the Gray / YELLOW. Why are both needed?
Todd
Haku 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2006 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  

If the check engine light is flashing, then you have a misfire that is bad enought to cause damage to the cat.  Do not drive it that way. Take it to a qualified mechanic to remedy this.  If you want to tackle it yourself then here is my advice......... If you washed the engine, then you probably got water down in the spark plug tubes, which WILL cause a misfire most of the time.   I would suggest taking off the coils, and blowing out the spark plug holes with compressed air (and I am not talking about those little cans that clean your pc).  I would then change the plugs, making sure you use a generous amount of dielectric grease on the end of the coil boots.  You will need a good selection of toos (wobble socket extension, 3 inch 6 inch extensions, spark plug socket, 7mm socket with 1/4 inch extensions.)....  The plugs on the drivers side are somewhat easy, once you remove the bracket for the power steering.  The easist way to do them is to unplug all the injectors, and coils, and pull the harness's out of the way, this will free up space to get the coils off (7mm bolt holding them down to the intake).  On the passenger side, you will have two coolant hoses (if you have rear heat, then there will be more of a mess of coolant hoses over there).  Move those to the side, and zip tie them up and out of the way.   I can do the whole thing in 1.5 hrs... but I have done hundreds of them.  If you have not done it before, plan on at least 3-4 hrs.  Use Autolite doulbe platinum plugs (APP103 is the part number).  That usually fixes a misfire.  Take a close look at the coil on the passenger side, all the way in the back.  The coolant hose above it likes to leak, dripping coolant on that coil, which will ruin it.  I always take that coil, and move it to the front... so when I put it all back together, and theres still a miss..... I can replace it easilly.   Have fun!!!  If you have any questions PM me.

Shawn

Hak
Siemens Autostart
96hawkcnvt 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2006 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Shawn! That makes a lot of sense to me. This is actually the vehicle of an employee of mine and I did this for him as a favor. Now I'm questioning how smart that was. At any rate, I did tell him that if the light was flashing it was something relatively serious and he shouldn't be driving it.
If he hasn't already taken it in, maybe I'll go ahead and change the plugs for him. I haven't worked on these but I do lots of that sort of thing. Can't be any worse than changing plugs on a late model Z28 I wouldn't think.
Thanks again for the great response.
Todd
dawgnit 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2006 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  

It's easier to change plugs on a Z-28 than an expy! Is it a 5.4 or 4.6? As for as I know the 5.4 are notorious for bad coil packs. If you even get one of those coil packs wet, (any moisture), it will cause a misfire. Ford had issues w/ I think the #7 coil pack when there is a leaky heater hose and it drips onto the coil pack. I was going to attempt changing the plugs myself on my 99 Expy 5.4, and it's just too much of a bear. Took it to the dealer and they charged about $200, mostly labor.

I just installed a BOA Remote Start, well, almost installed it and this board is great for information. I didn't experience any misfires w/the RS

-Mike

Haku 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2006 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Its actually cyl #4   Ford labels those as follows... 1234 on pass side, and 5678 on driver side. 
Hak
Siemens Autostart
Haku 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2006 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
Here is a pic of the firing order for the 5.4 and 6.8Remote Start, 2000 Expedition -- posted image.
Hak
Siemens Autostart
96hawkcnvt 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2006 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
Sparky Said:
"Did you power both the gray / YELLOW and RED / black wires up as accessory?"
Can anyone explain the significance? Am I supposed to power both of these?
Thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic