Boat Stereo System

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jgpenner 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2006 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I am currently installing a new stereo system into my boat.  I purchased 4 speakers, a head unit, and an AMP.  I wanted to install the system with a second battery as the power source.  I would like to keep this second battery separate from the main electricial system.  How would you recommend installing and what supplies would I need?
Thanks for any help.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2006 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
How do you plan to recharge the battery?
Support the12volt.com
jgpenner 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2006 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 92 Bayliner with an outboard engine.  I do not believe that the current system is being recharged when the engine is running.  This is the main reason why I do not want to tie into the existing electricial system.  Due to no recharging, I was considering getting a marine solar power battery charger.  It is really inexpensive and should do the trick.

For now, I was going to charge both batteries before I head out on the water.

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2006 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
OK.  Then all you need is to wire the radio and the amp directly to the battery (using the proper size fuses to protect the wiring.)  If you want it to be neat, a distribution block might be useful.  Depending on how large the battery is and how large the amplifier is, the battery may supply the system for several hours, or it could drain the battery in minutes.  I suggest a marine-grade deep-cycle battery.
Support the12volt.com
jgpenner 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2006 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  

If I used a distribution block:

- I would run both pos and neg to the distribution block in front of the boat (battery in back of boat).

- Run a second power wire from the amp to the pos terminal on the battery.

- Ground the amp to the distribution block.

- Run power and ground wires from the distribution block to the head unit.

- install inline fuses on all power wires

If the above is correct, would it be possible to run a toggle switch to cut the power? Since the power would not be connected to a switch, I was thinking of trying to install a "master switch" that would cut the power to the amp and head unit off.  Where would I install this, between the battery and distribution block?

Thanks for your help!

DYohn 
Posted: January 16, 2006 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
I would run a power and ground cable from the battery to your mounting location with a fuse suitable to the cable size located near the battery.  Connect these to two distribution blocks, one for positive and the other for ground.  Then connect your HU and amp to the distribution blocks.  No need for any other wires to the battery, just use the proper size cables (see the Power and Ground link on the left.)  If you want to be able to disconnect the power from the battery, you could either simply pull the main positive fuse (the easy way) or wire in a relay or circuit breaker in line with the main power.
Support the12volt.com
jgpenner 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2006 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  

According to the power and ground link, I would need 4 gage power and ground wires from my battery to distribution blocks.  I would then need 8 gage power and ground wires from the distribution block to the amp.  Since my head unit has 16 gage power and ground wires, would it be okay to connect these to the distribution blocks?   Thanks again.

DYohn 
Posted: January 16, 2006 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, that sounds great.  Remember to fuse the wires!
Support the12volt.com
jgpenner 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2006 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks!  I assume that you are talking about inline fuses on all power wires, correct?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2006 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
Correct!
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic