icon

02 Camry, Remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
clsmith 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
I tried to install a Crimestopper Cool Start RS900, series 7, in a 2002 Camry this weekend. Using the wiring info from the vehicle wiring database. I didn't have much luck. 02 Camry, Remote start -- posted image.
I'm hoping someone here could point me in the right direction:
First - The information in the forums (and in the Vehicle Wiring Databse) is somewhat contradictive. The Database says that the 'Accessory' wire is Blue/Red. Others say it's just Blue. How can I test to verify?
Next - Does it have a second ignition or second starter, or both? One or two Accessories? The RS900 only has IGN 1, IGN 2 and 1 starter lead(s). How do I tie into 2 Ignitions, 2 Starters and 2 Accessories?
Also - I bought the 555X. I just can't seem to find the Data, Sync and Clock wires it says I should tie into (GREEN / WHITE, Blue / YELLOW and RED / Blue) anywhere in the ignition harness. Where should I be looking?
Last - there's been a lot of talk about the two BLACK / YELLOW wires in the Ignition Switch Harness. Again differing opinions. I 'think' after reading the forums that the smaller wire is 2nd ignition and the larger one is Starter 2.. Is this right? Again, how can I test to verify?
Sorry for the noob questions. This has been a pretty frustrating experience.
Thanks.
cls
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
when you're testing ignition harness wires they should test as follows:
starter - 12V only during crank, 0V in all other positions
accessory - 12V in ACC, and Run positions, 0V in crank
ign - 12V in crank and run positions
This should answer both your first and last questions
The 02 camry should have 2 starters, 2 ignitions, and 1 accessory. If you only have 1 starter output, you can wire up an additional relay from the remote starter to provide power to the second starter wire.
Most remote starters have an accessory output, or at least a programmable ignition output that allows it to be dead during crank, essentially making it an accessory output.
All of the wires for the 555x should be able to be found coming right off the key cylinder, that's where the transponder antenna is.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 7:21 AM / IP Logged  
The two small BLACK / YELLOWs are the same size. One is second starter one is second ignition. Do not tie the two starter wires in together or use a diode as the AM1 fuse will blow, you must relay the second starter. Are you sure you even have an immobilzer? 50% of the Camrys don't. Are the keys fat or skinny? Do you have a security light next to the heater controls? If you have a security light on the dash you will need to hook up the keysense wire .Also, the accessory wire is blue/red, a thin wire.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
bazzgazm 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  
Honestly, it sounds like you shouldn't be putting this in without some supervision =)
I'm almost guessing there will be some bill at the dealership for this one
good luck man.
clsmith 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
Great!
Thanks for the info. I probably won't be able to go after it again until this weekend. But this helps alot!
cls
clsmith 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
DOH!   02 Camry, Remote start -- posted image.
You're right, skinny key, no security light. I don't think it has an immobilizer (explains why I can't find the wires.)
Well this should help to simplify things...
Thanks for the moment of clarity.
cls
clsmith 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  

bazzgazm wrote:
Honestly, it sounds like you shouldn't be putting this in without some supervision =) ...

LOL!

I'm certainly more than capable of breaking things.  I'm also capable ot putting them back together too.  This isn't my first Remote start install (thought it would seem as such.)  Just had some bad information going into this one.   Not to mention some instances of less than intelligent decision making on my part.  02 Camry, Remote start -- posted image.

Besides, who better to watch over me than the people in this forum...  Aside from the voices in my head of course 02 Camry, Remote start -- posted image. .

cls
clsmith 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
Hornshockey wrote:
...you can wire up an additional relay from the remote starter to provide power to the second starter wire.
So, to wire up the additional relay I'd use:
85 - Starter Output from the RS Module.
86 - Ignition Output (-) from from the RS
87 - 12v
30 - 2nd Starter
Is that right?
cls
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
That will work fine, but for future reference 30 should be your source wire. While what you have will do the job, reverse it and use 30 for 12V and 87 to the BLACK / YELLOW second starter.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
clsmith 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
Got it. Will do.
Thanks again for all your help.
cls
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic