icon

05 06 Altima Bose 6cd Wiring Amp Turn On

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hijack784 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
Hello folks, I would just like to say I do not believe this is a repost of any kind. Since this radio is pretty new compared to the 2002/03/04 model bose radios, I have not seen any definitive answer. I hope you can all bare with me.
I have a 2005 Altima with the non-bose system. I was able to get an 2005 6cd Bose factory deck and swap it in my car. I am quite certain that the Bose 6 Cd only (non-navi) for 2006 and 2006 Altimas are the same.
I needed an amplifier to produce a louder signal, since the non-bose system does not come with an external amp (it is internal - I suppose the 6cds took up the space for an internal amp in the bose system). I used line output converters (LOCS) and ran it to an amp to power my speakers. Everything works fine, except that I am currently using the 12V from the fusebox (MIRROR/AUDIO) for the remote turn on. I do not really like this, since I do not want the amp on all the time the car is on.
I believe that since the BOSE system originally has an external amp, there would be some kind of turn on signal from the deck, just like previous models. I did a search online, and this is all I got.
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=65759&KW=altima
Apparently this information is from the old models. I was thinking it is the same, but for some reason it doesn't seem that way.
On the back of the radio, I was able to get a multimeter and read the DC values for mostly all the pins. I was looking for a 12V which turned on/off when the radio was on/off. Initially I thought I had found the pin on the 10pin socket. (bottom row, 3rd from right) It was green wired (next to a green wire with yellow striped, and a bit thicker), but it only responded when the AM/FM radio was on 12V. When I switched to CD mode, it went to about 0.67V (essentially 0V). When the radio is off, it is 0V. When I am talking about wire colors, I am referring to my stock nonbose wiring, since I believe the original bose installed system is different (it uses the other 12 pin jacks).
I wasn't able to find one that worked. It doesn't quite add up, if the amp is hooked up to that pin that I found which worked for am/fm, for the original bose system with amp, how would the amp turn on then to respond to the CDs? Was it by sensing an audio signal? I do not have an amp capable of doing it, and it seems that it could be a way BOSE did it. I'm not sure why it only goes to 12V for AM/FM and not stay on for CD.
Here is someone who seemed to look into this radio, but I don't see anything about the remote amp turn on pin
http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?t=105357
I have attached a picture here to show you. If you read the above post, you can see which sockets are used and for what. I found it to be true. I am not using the right most socket since my car did not come with it
05 06 Altima Bose 6cd Wiring Amp Turn On -- posted image.
Anyways, I scoured the net and I believe someone else had the same question I had, and it was unanswered. I have never found the amp turn on answered anywhere on the net for this model year bose system. So my question is: How do you wire the amp turn on so that the amp turns on only when the radio turns on for both AM/FM and CDs?
What do you guys do? Especially the ones who just add a sub/amp to their existing bose 6cd system? Do you guys use the remote signal on the actual bose amp itself? But how does that work if it receives the same line from the back of the deck.
I hope someone can shed light on this problem and solve it once and for all. Thanks a lot!
Also, if anyone has a ALTIMA 2005 Factory Service Manual PDF, please let us know. Maybe you can hook it up or we can work something out.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  

The wire you found was the power antenna lead.  If you pick up a wiring harness your car, it will say which wire is for the factory amp turn on.

If you are trying to add an amp to that headunit, there's no need for an LOC, since it's already a low level signal to begin with.  Also keep in mind the factory speakers are 2 ohm.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
nstaller36695 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
the wire u are looking should be in the smaller 6 pin harness u may need to buy a reverse harness to be able to have a wire dangling out of that pin its weird but it works and then u just use a regular harness tied to that so u dont have to cut off the factory harness
the best part of a job is seeing the bumper get smaller over the horizon
hijack784 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
ok, thanks, i think i was finding the power antenna lead. i didn't see a green and white wire like it says, so i guess i will have to navigate thru the service manual to find the right pin.

I'm not sure if the signal is already a low level signal. Its not RCA outs, so I did use to LOCs. What is weird is the guy who installed it, if the wires are not connected to the amp, it has a small audio sound, I'm not sure how he hooked it up, he might have spliced it in.

I do know the factory speakers are 2 ohm. I don't understand your point for that, since most amps do power at 4 and 2 ohms.

nstaller36695: I did probe the 6 pins, and I guess I missed it? but I don't know which one exactly it is yet. I guess I will need to get a harness or splice one from the original. I just don't see a green wire with white stripes.
hijack784 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
seems to me it is the GREEN / WHITE wire of terminal 12. can anyone locate terminal 12? im getting lost in the pages
nstaller36695 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
they make a harness that plugs into the factory radio. buy that. it will have a blue and white wire that is the amp turn on. most factory head units have a remote turn on just the pin has been left out of the harness. and then all u have to do is buy the regular harness and u are on your way but if the speakers are 2 ohms buy a 4 channel amp. and if the speaker output is low u can just splice in female rca connects
hijack784 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
i already have it wired up and it works fine. i have a 4 channel amp that does 2 ohms. i would like to know which pin it is so i can hook it up! it says pin 12 on the factory service manual, i dunno which one that is. i rather not spend more money on a harness. someone here has to know the pin #, and which socket it is!

i don't think it is in the 6 pin smaller harness like you say. why did you propose that one initially?
nstaller36695 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
i understand your frustration but the finding the pin is easy its getting a wire into the socket and lets face it if u spent 30 grand on a car and got a free 6 disc changer 15 bucks for a harness isnt going to break the bank the pin is on the back of the radio in the 6 pin rear speaker harness thats not a hard wire to find but unless u get the after market OEM harness that plugs into the radio u wont be able to connect to it
hijack784 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
its ok, it wasn't free 6cd but ill figure it out. thx for your help
hijack784 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2006 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I have looked at pin 1, and it is 12V when the key is in the ACC position.
I am pretty sure this is the factory amp turn on pin, as it states on the Altima service manual that there is power delivered to the headunit.

(I was under the impression that this can be done because my friend's 2001 nissan maxima was wired like that, and it was non bose. i figured most nissans were similar, but maybe because they have a separate panel to display time. this is why there is no need for the unit to be on all the time)

In my case, the amp does not turn on only when the radio is on. Since the headunit is always lighted to show the time, when the car is on, there is a 12V signal. I am sure this is the factory turn on pin because my original nonbose harness had no wire unto that pin. This is prolly why I never found it the first time.

CONCLUSION: Pin1 of the 6 pin molex harness is the factory turn on signal, but it provides the remote signal the whole time the car is on, and while the key is in the ACC position. This factory turn on does not send a signal only when the radio/6cd function is on, which was what I was looking for. Essentially, it is pretty useless, and you can hook your remote wire to the fuse box under MIRRORS/AUDIO instead of taking apart the dash. Same exact function.

I am quite displeased about this. I guess I need to get a switch if I really wanted this, or get an audio sensing turn on 4ch amplifier. Anyone got any suggestions of one? Anyone actually have their amp turn on when their unit comes on? Can any  Altima users weigh in on this? Please do not tell me to get aftermarket, I'm not looking for that. Thanks again all. I hope I have provided useful information to future Altima audio seekers.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic