icon

99 Silverado Rear Speakers Not Working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dteproductions 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2006 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  

My rear speakers aren't working at all, not even a touch of static.  They are wired correctly as it seems by the wiring harness & radio, but i'm getting nothing at all...

Is there anything weird about the silverado's that I might need to check to see if something simple is not connected?

I'm pulling my hair out...

Any help would be mint.

Thanks,

Johnny

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  

When posting, be as specific as possible so we can point you in the right direction.  When did the problem first start?  Did you just have a new radio installed, did you have new speakers installed as well, etc.  Are there speakers there?  I've run into situations before where there was no sound out of one or more locations and it was simply because there were no speakers there.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
did you install a new radio.  If you put in a pioneer, make sure the fie isn't on.  Some models of kenwood also have a setting that will turn off the rear speakers.  You need to be more specific with your post.
Do it right the first time
darthness 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
FIE doesn't turn the rear speakers off, it sends the midbass/bass frequencies to the rear and limits the fronts to high frequencies. atleast thats been the case on all my pioneer decks.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
There should be a 6 pin plug in near the driver's kick panel/firewall that the wires for the rear speakers run through. Check to make sure it hasn't come unplugged.
sparky
dteproductions 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  

OK, I checked every possible thing tonight.  The front speakers work 100%, the rear aren't getting the juice...I practically took apart my entire truck and i'm beat.

On the 6 pin plug, is it UNDER the kick panel?  I took off the kick panel and disconnected every plug under there and connected them back and nothing.  The channels on the radio DO work, i swapped the rear channel to the front, and I got sound, but somewhere between the dashboard and the rear speakers, there is a cut/disconnect.

I did also check to make sure the speakers were connected in the rear, and they are.

Does anyone know exactly how the wire goes from the radio to the rear speakers in the new style silverado (99-02)?  This I think is the culprit.  Maybe a plug is disconnected like sparky said....but I just need to find it.

Any help would be MINT!

Thanks,

Johnny

dteproductions 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

OK, I did find the connector, it has the light blue, dark blue, brown and yellow wire in it, along with a thick pink one...

I checked it from the radio with a +- simple wire tester and the bulb lit up on each speaker wire. (the purple one didn't).

Then, I did a quick test to see if the speakers were getting juice at all, i connected the two speaker wires and tapped a AA battery and there was no static whatsoever on either rear speaker, but if I took the speakers out, and connected them with just two basic jumper wires and tap the battery, you hear the static...

So, it looks like from that clip where it runs along the kick panel of the truck, to the speakers themselves, there's a break in the line...

NOW, how the heck do I get into the back panel to trace the wires once it gets to the back doors?  Is there an easy way?  Help...

Johnny

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

The easiest thing to do would be to run new wires to the speakers directly from the deck.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
dteproductions 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

I could have run two new full systems from scratch with the time I wasted on these damn rear speakers...  I'm gonna do exactly that...and i'll probably run into the problem when i'm on the last speaker...lol...

Thanks guys, I was hoping for an easy way out, but aren't we all...dohhh...

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

actually the easiest thing to do would be to properly diagnose it.....you cannot test a speaker problem with a test light... you can use a meter and meter for AC OR you can meter the wires and speakers for continuity OR you can meter for a short to ground.....

have you tried plugging a test speaker in at the radio? at the connector? at the speaker?

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic