icon

Sealing, smoothing FG and MDF

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whosandy 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  

So, I've been working on a fiberglass/MDF enclosure, that I can remove and re-insert If i ever need the spare tire or more trunk-space, for two 10" subwoofers. So far I have only come along one thing that I'm really unsure and curious about. In the area on the edges of the fiberglass (Shown more clearly in the pictures.) Im worried that it wont be correctly sealed between that and the MDF. Should I extend the fiberglass over farther to touch the MDF, should I put a bead of silicon sealant all around between the FG and MDF (Something that I thought about, that I thought may work.) , or should I just leave it alone. Im just a little worried about it being incorrectly sealed. No big deal.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks alot!  Sealing, smoothing FG and MDF -- posted image.

Andy

whosandy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  

https://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/andyplacenta/fiberglassed.jpg

It's my first time making a subwoofer enclosure, let alone one with fiberglass. Pretty good so far huh?

https://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/andyplacenta/MDFtoFG.jpg

This is the area where I want to make sure to seal up. 

whosandy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  

Oops, for those who dont feel like clicking the links above...  heh...

Sealing, smoothing FG and MDF -- posted image.

It's my first time making a subwoofer enclosure, let alone one with fiberglass. Pretty good so far huh?

This is the area where I want to make sure to seal up. 

One_Dieu 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
seal it from the inside with marglass or chopp mat and resin.
Respect the Blood Line
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with One...stiffen up the inside/seal the edges with some resin/hardener/talcum powder or cabosil. If you want to clean up those edges, you can try to cut off the excess fleece with a cutting disk. You can then thow some bondo/body filler to smooth out the wood/fleece edges.
Im a fiberglass whore!!
whosandy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  

Should I put just the resin/hardener/talcom powder on the joints of the inside, or is the fiberglass mat really needed? Oh, and how many times is it recommended to repeat the process of adding body filler and sanding it?

Ctoh 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  

Make about a quart or so(depending on the total size of the enclosure) and mix it with talc and 1/4" chop strand.  Make it like a runny oatmeal consistency and pour it in the enclosure, slowly 'swirl' it around in the enclosure making sure to concentrate it on the edges where you want your seal,,,this will totally seal the box and add strength to the box.  I do this on every enclosure I build the step after the resin has kicked or hardened on the fleece...Perfect seal with no silicones or foreign substances,,,

whosandy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
Alright Ctoh, I like that idea. Sounds like it will work really well. Two things though, chop strand... when I've been at HomeDepot and other stores like that, I havent seen any chop strand. Only mat and cloth. Should I go to a boat store instead? Also, I already put some silicon along the inside to seal it. Do you think it would still be good to put the mixture your talking about into the enclosure over top, or would that just be unnesessary and redundant?
Ctoh 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  

whosandy wrote:
Alright Ctoh, I like that idea. Sounds like it will work really well. Two things though, chop strand... when I've been at HomeDepot and other stores like that, I havent seen any chop strand. Only mat and cloth. Should I go to a boat store instead? Also, I already put some silicon along the inside to seal it. Do you think it would still be good to put the mixture your talking about into the enclosure over top, or would that just be unnesessary and redundant?

You probably won't find strand at a place like that, check www.uscomposites.com and see if they have it, you won't need a whole lot.  I buy it in 50 lb bags, if you can't find it, PM me your address and I'll send you a big Ziploc bag full of it.  I'd remove the silicone if I were you...Do you have Talc also?  I buy that in 50 lb bags as well,,,You don't do this step outside of the box, only on the inside if that is what you are meaning by 'over the top' but do remove the silicone for the resin to not have any inhibitors inside,,,

Ctoh 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  

whosandy wrote:

You probably won't find strand at a place like that, check www.uscomposites.com and see if they have it, you won't need a whole lot.  I buy it in 50 lb bags, if you can't find it, PM me your address and I'll send you a big Ziploc bag full of it.  I'd remove the silicone if I were you...Do you have Talc also?  I buy that in 50 lb bags as well,,,You don't do this step outside of the box, only on the inside if that is what you are meaning by 'over the top' but do remove the silicone for the resin to not have any inhibitors inside,,,

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic