Sealing, smoothing FG and MDF

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whosandy 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  

CTOH wrote:

You probably won't find strand at a place like that, check www.uscomposites.com and see if they have it, you won't need a whole lot.  I buy it in 50 lb bags, if you can't find it, PM me your address and I'll send you a big Ziploc bag full of it.  I'd remove the silicone if I were you...Do you have Talc also?  I buy that in 50 lb bags as well,,,You don't do this step outside of the box, only on the inside if that is what you are meaning by 'over the top' but do remove the silicone for the resin to not have any inhibitors inside,,,

I checked, and no strand there. They only have mat and cloth, so I'll just message you my adress. It would be awesome if I could get a bag. I'll scrape out the silicon too. Oh, by "over top", I meant over top of the silicon. Not the actual enclosure itself. By Talc you mean like Talc powder right?

whosandy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  

This is my first fiberglass project. I was wondering if anybody can help me with smoothing out the Fiberglass to be somewhat flush to the MDF on the elges. I was told I could cut off the excess fabric and use Bondo or body-filler to flatten it out. If anybody has any other ideas, or ideas that could be better, I would really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,

Andy

Sealing, smoothing FG and MDF - Page 2 -- posted image.

The enclosure and its rough edges. ^^

Sealing, smoothing FG and MDF - Page 2 -- posted image.

Close up on those edges. ^^

gavin9797 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

Can you grind/sand the edges off? (the rest of the glass is adhered to the box?) 

By looking at the pic you would have to glass the sides to the same thickness to smooth it out.

whosandy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2006 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  
gavin9797 wrote:

Can you grind/sand the edges off? (the rest of the glass is adhered to the box?) 

By looking at the pic you would have to glass the sides to the same thickness to smooth it out.

I could grind the edges off, but I would be affraid that the fiberglass would not be well enough attached to the rest of the box itself if i grinded it off, because the staples for the fleece I had used were placed on the sides that I show in the picture. Does that sound sensible enough? Well, unless the resin had seeped into the wood enough to really end up attaching the fiberglass front well enough, I dont think it would stay strongly attached. I could glass the sides too, but im just planning to lay some carpet over the sides anyways, because I only wanted the part that I originally fiberglassed to be the part that I would later end up painting, or getting pained. So, im affraid that fiberglassing the sides too would be a waste of time and money.

Any other ideas?

Ctoh 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2006 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
Wait to smooth it down till after your done with the inside, I'm UPS'ing you the strand hopefully today.  I would grind it down basically at the staple line, the fleece should be tight enough between the corner of the box and the staple line to remain smooth.  If you got enough resin where the fleece and the MDF meet then you won't have a problem.  You can use some BondO to smooth it out but if your carpeting it then the carpet will absorb alot of abnormalities,,,
whosandy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2006 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, sounds good. I guess ill just smooth it out, and cut off as much excess fabric and fiberglass as I can without doing anything that could ruin the bond between the fiberglass and MDF. By the time the carpet is on I'm sure it will look good, as long I do well enough of a job making it somewhat smooth.
dsbenjamin 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
i got a quick question related to this post, i have the same issue and my buddy that owns a body shop has short strand fiberglass...kindof looks like bondo but i guess it has short fibers in it...will that work just fine to seal the mdf to the fiberglass from the inside of the box?
d.s.b.
toolinmaine 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  

on the strands . just take some fiberglass matt and use a fork or some other pointed tool to separate the strands. simple as pie. and you could cut off the the excess and layer some more fiberglass across the front and sides. cause the fleece alone wont be strong enough you'll need several layers. and dsbenjamin, we call that kitty hair or kat hair. its basically harder bondo w/ strands of fiberglass in it. it is just as thick if not thicker than bondo and way stronger. you could use this on the inside for the strength. but it is so hard to sand, somewhat like concrete, its not good to use on the ouside unless you want to build an area up. But if you cut the loose fleece of and relayer with fiberglass like half way over the mdf it should be more than enough

eric anderson-nosredna cire
spoony1 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2006 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
Marglass is defintely the best and quickens way to seal the inside.
dsbenjamin 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
thanks guys
d.s.b.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic