icon

viper 791 shuts engine while driving

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wowbw7 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
Viper 791xv installed in a 97 S10 Blazer about a year ago. have remote start, door lock and rear hatch release functions hooked up. no shock sensor installed. all functions have worked until just recently. while driving, door locks cycle on & off once or twice then engine dies. this happens while driving! put tranny in neutral, and engine will only start with remote...not key. also door lock feature works, but not unlock or rear hatch release. any ideas? thanx in advance for any help   
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
The 791 has only starter kill, not ignition kill.
How can it shut the ignition off and shut down the truck?
Check your negative battery terminal to see if it's loose....
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
bazzgazm 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
I agree. Or alternator.
gm's do funny things when the batteries die. I had a remotestart/alarm/keyless in a malibu and when the batt was almost dead i could hit the unlock button and pop the trunk =) stupid peices of mess.
kaezoo 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 7:17 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like it might be the ignition switch going bad, particularly since you can start with the remote but not the key. Could one of the ignition wires have been pulled loose in the factory harness at the switch?
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged  
I like kaezoo's suggestion---- the Viper probably has the ignition-controlled doorlocks turned on, and if the car's factory ignition wire is going on and off, the locks will cycle.
wowbw, when the engine dies while driving, how about the other features? Climate controls, radio.... do they remain on?
If ONLY the engine dies, but the other stuff remains on, I would guess at the pink wire being intermittent, as kaezoo says.
Perhaps you could temporarily tape four small lights onto the dash?
Connect each one, respectively, to the pink, white, orange, and brown wires in the steering column. Label them so you know which is which.
(Ground the other ends of the bulbs' wires, of course.)
Take the car for a ride, and see if any of the lights go out as you drive along.
wowbw7 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
can't get to the car 'til next week, but I sure appreciate the suggestions. I'll check out each one. it's happened twice, during the daytime & the radio wasn't on, so I can't say on the accessories working or not. a question about the loose ignition wire..does this cause the only-starts-with-remote thing? turning the key to start does nothing..thanx again, guys...
wiretapper 
Copper - Posts: 166
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 3:07 AM / IP Logged  

9 yr old S-10 blazer?  I suspect a bad ignition switch. If the alarm sees an on/off signal from an internal intermittant ign switch connection where (I presume) the alarm wiring is connected, it will cycle the locks. The "engine dying" thing will also be directly related to a bad switch.

It will usually remote start even with a bad switch because the start signal is generated downstream from the switch.  Also, it will STILL get the power to start it because the remote start wires (again, I'd assume) are connected to the RED / rd-white wires that feed 12v to the switch. My friend has been using his '94 full size Blazer this way for the past 2 yrs! No start signal from the key, but it remote starts every time.  ...some people.....viper 791 shuts engine while driving -- posted image.

There are many other suspects there too, but eliminate a bad switch first. You'll be ahead of the game that way.

Also, you may want to do an OBDII scan on it. '97-up will show an event history that might reveal why the engine dies. Sometimes it doesn't trigger a code, but it will show up in an 'event history' scan. You can also put the scantool on it while driving, set it to 'real time'.

If it starts right  back up every time, batt and alt are fine. A simple voltmeter test can determine that. You may have to dig further into the BCM, or ECM. The scantool is your friend.

Mwsounds 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
Mine did that to me a few times. It turned out my Alarm brain got wet. Make sure your car is not leaking as well.
Thanks,
Mike Ward
Get it done right the first time!
wranglercory 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
recheck all of your connections and the main ign. harness
wowbw7 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2006 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
replaced switch harness last week. rewired Viper to new harness. no problems with car stalling since, but Viper still doesn't function. no unlock function, no rear hatch release. blue led flashes constantly, and alarm and lights going off all the time. only thing I have hooked up now is remote start & remote kill. they work fine. is my Viper 'brain' fried?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic