icon

Best Boom for the Budget

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2006 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  
I think Arrow12 has a good plan there. That set-up should be loud enough to get him heard before seen.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
TheMadScientist 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
Hey thanks Arrow12. Thats sounds like a pretty good setup. Does anyone have any feedback on that Orion sub that I was talking about? Would be a better than the Kicker?
Here is the Orion sub.
http://www.cardomain.com/item/ORI27311
Orion Sub
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  

Arrow12 might have linked to the wrong box there.  That one is for a 10" (?) and it's made with 5/8" baffles.  It looks like a 1 cu ft sealed box is the way to go, too.  I would make a double-baffle face, meaning 1 1/2 " thick, because this is where the box resonance will be most troublesome, and there's not a whole lotta wood left after you cut out that hole..  The rest, I would use 3/4" MDF, and I would get some bracing inside it as well.  That's going to pound mad.  I like the sub/amp combo, though, and they should do the job.

If you order a premade box that is built sturdy enough (...doubt that you can find one...) for that sub, the shipping would cost at least $30, I'll bet.  But you should be able to build one for $50 or so. 

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  

luckydevil wrote:
For $500 here is what I would get...
Crutchfield has the Kicker Solo Baric S5L10 Buy one get one free right now for $200.
Run the pair at 1 ohm and then power them with a nice MB Quart RAA1000 amp from woofersetc for $280.
So that would be two 10" L5 Solo Barics getting 1000watts rms. That should be more than enough to "be heard."

This would be the setup I'd get if I wanted to be loud on a budget. I would put them in a slot ported box and call it a day.

arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2006 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry for the wrong link.  That's my bad.  Oh and customsuburb...  woofersetc.com doesn't give a factory warranty or else I'd give other suggestions from there.

That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
There is no way that Kicker is going to be a louder setup than the Orion sub! The Kicker is the cheaper way to go, and you said you were on a strict budget so if that's what you gotta do then that's what you gotta do. Too bad, cuz that Orion could kill that Kicker! Sorry, but I've had bad experiences with Kicker and they are a brand I don't too much care for! Everyone does have their own opinion though....  Best Boom for the Budget - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
Two 10" solobaric L5's will be substantially louder than that single Orion 12" sub. As long as the gain is set properly they should hold up fine.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic