icon

Best Boom for the Budget

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TheMadScientist 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
I am helping out a friend with an installantion without your help. He may end up with that Audiobahn stuff that alot of people will just turn and walk away. He has 2000 Ford Zx3. He has already upgraded his front and rear speakers. He has a budget of about $500-700 bucks. I'm not for sure if he wants true SPL or a mixture of SQ/SPL? I do know that he wants his bass to be heard. I don't know what category that would be in. I would know more about it, but I am doing this as a surprise for his birthday while he is over in Irag. His mom is buying the system. I am going to put it in. So all suggestions welcomes. Here is the low down... $500-700 bucks for sub(s) and amp, and it has to be heard for blocks preferrably.
Thanks
TheMadScientist 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
Wait my bad... I was reading over it and it sounds kinda mean. I meant to say that without your help he may end up with something crappy.
Thanks again
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
Well my first question is...  Do you want 15's or 12's?  It all depends on the space available.  You could also go ported if you had the space.  And secondly.  Is your friend fighting in Iraq?  If he is tell him thanks.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
TheMadScientist 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, he is over there fighting. I never would have thought that he would join. He is one of the nicest guys that I have ever met. He would do anything for anybody. I'm not for sure how much space he has. It's the same size as mine. He doesn't use his rear any so it could be full of speakers he would not mind a bit. i forgot to mention this Focus is a daily driver so he needs something loud for everyday use. The question about the 15's or the 12's whichever will be the loudest. Like I said, he would like something that would be heard before seen...lol. Any other specs you need just let me know... Later
TheMadScientist 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
I know that might be asking alot and it may be pushing the limits, but that budget has to include the enclosure too... so i will talk to her about the budget? so let's say for safety sake... $500-800 for
sub(s), amp, and box.
Thanks again...
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  

Where in the US are you?  I need to take shipping into account.

That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
TheMadScientist wrote:
He would do anything for anybody.
Prolly why he's over there battin' for the home team. Best Boom for the Budget -- posted image.
Lets get this man's stereo *nasty* shall we?
arrow12 wrote:
Do you want 15's or 12's? It all depends on the space available. You could also go ported if you had the space.
Hmm. Since our mission statement is "be heard for blocks" I'm not sure if either would be my *first* choice.. perhaps a pair of 12's, but for the same space, I'm not sure I can justify *anything* except a nice row of 10's.
For example, a 2.6ish cft box will give 3 10's a nice ported box, take up minimal room (as far as "heard for blocks goes"), and take a round 800ish watts. Right in the low-end of that price range.
Tell ya what there MadScientist, why don't you pick out a few monoblocks in the 600 - 1000watt range, or at least tell us what brands ya like, and we'll help whiddle down your choices in that department.
Once we have your amp, the subwoofer choice is *easy* ...   if ya'd like, you can do a fully bi-amped system for that price range.... for $800, with the HU and speakers already purchased.. the possibilities are *endless*..
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
For $500 here is what I would get...
Crutchfield has the Kicker Solo Baric S5L10 Buy one get one free right now for $200.
Run the pair at 1 ohm and then power them with a nice MB Quart RAA1000 amp from woofersetc for $280.
So that would be two 10" L5 Solo Barics getting 1000watts rms. That should be more than enough to "be heard."
blackmica3 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  

Since no preferred brand has been mentioned, I'll throw out my recommendation with my preferred brand.

2- Memphis Model: 15-M1124 12" Subs in a vented enclosure powered by a Memphis Model: 16-MCD500 500 watt amplifier.  You should be able to pickup the amp for $250-300 and the subs around $350-$400 a pair. That leaves you $100-$200 for a vented enclosure.

Good luck!!!!

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  

Maybe you can go to a local shop, and tell them what your doing. Maybe they will cut you a deal for your buddy. It's worth a try

Big Dave
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic