icon

amp failure due to mount sub box kinda?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, I am by no means at forbidden's level of installations, but of the couple i have done, that have gone some up to 4ish years. Never a problem mounting a amp to a box... Its going to take a hell of a lot of rattling to make a box rattle that much. and as opposed to mounting them to the floor of the car, or back seats or anything. I wold imagine those vibrate more than the box. because when you sit in your front seat you can feel it vibrate. so the backs must as well. Id not worry.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

I would call it 'energy transfer' instead of 'vibration'.  Riding the chassis of the auto is a lot smoother on the components inside the amp than if it's mounted securely to a pounding sub box.  Both are vibrations, but the term encompasses a very wide range.  All that energy goes directly through the amplifier, and it's that type of "vibration" that will loosen a component from its glue, break a lead or crack a circuit board.  I say isolate the amplifier as well as you can (meaning, keep it off the sub box to start with).

That is, if it's your amp.  If it's somebody else's don't worry about it.   ;)

Just another opinion, and you know what they say about opinions...

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
if your not having problems you probably will not however. if you want to disapaite the vibration a little more to the entire car if you can Take 1 or 2 bolts and bolt the box to the chassis.
Pros-
Rattling in a specific area can be decreased.
Cant steel your box.
And vibration is transfered thought car better.
Cons
May not help your situation if your having a problem
drilled holes will later have to be siliconed and or welded closed. if you decide to remove item.
My situation.
2 13w7's Fiberglass box. ported through back deck. Hit so hard that i blew out the back glass. (pre bolted)
Bolted box to the chasis. using three bolts.
outcome Dash panels shake less. Sound is better. I use system at a higher volume and glass does not feel as much vibration as it did. hence not breaking.
Now i know its the presure that does the glass breaking but over all doing this little thing change alot. But forget about the glass IT stops rattling the trunk lid by as much as 30 percent to the situation that i have to really be jamming to get anoyying sound from trunk rattle.
I am just going on personal experience Not saying what to do. I know this is way off the subject of your amps being affected but it is a possible solution besides side supports as listed from another person.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
groggy23 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
^Alright, well I'll have to think of something. Thank's for the ideas. So far I haven't had any problems. I'm just scared of something happening to the amps from the vibration. I'll have to figure out a way to bolt the ends of the box the chassis of the car. I also just realized you are in Coral Springs. I live in Coconut Creek. Maybe you can help me out hehe.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic