icon

Pre-Arm/Defrost CA545/425 '05 GMC Envoy

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
darius26 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  

I had CodeAlarm CA-545/CA-425 Installed on my  2005 GMC Envoy. To bypass the PassLock a unit called GMDL-BP was installed in addition.

Now CA-545 with the CA-425 master console, are supposed to support pre-arm mode - when a door or light is On, the unit beeps once and arms once all the doors are closed or 4 minutes have gone by. It doesn't do it for me. It automatically arms !  Can anyone tell me how to make this work ? Wiring ? Programming ?

In addition, CA-545/425 also has the Defrost feature. This also does not work. Is there a programming/wiring to be done ?

Can the problem also be the GMDL-BP bypass module ?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
I have yet to install that unit but I have a few on hand. It seems that some of the features need to be programmed with an RF programmer according to the master module install instructions. I have been unable to locate one thus far. Those units were made by Audiovox for Code-alarm and I'm pretty sure it was mainly a Circuit City piece. They have since stopped carrying them and went back to thier DEI line but I've been seeing that Ebay is flooded with them. I was kind of concerned about whether or not all the features could be used without the RF programmer. It appears that maybe you are having that problem.
Steve G
kohara73 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
I have installed a few of these systems and no, you do not the RF prgrammer at all.  It is just a quick way for dealers to program this thing.  Everything the unit is capable of is accessable through normal transmitter programming. If your system is not going into pre-arm, it's one of two things.  Your door trigger is not hooked up, or it is wired improperly.  To test it, lock your doors with the Code Alarm remote,  unlock your door with the key and open it...no alarm sounding=no door trigger or dome light monitoring.  Your defrost will not work unless your R/S was hooked into your defrost system.  Ask your installer if it was hooked up.  Most people will probably charge extra for something like that. Also, you may want to turn shock sensor off...they have been known for false alarms.
Keith
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
Is the car's domelight disabled with the switch on the dash, or does it come on when the door is open?
Also, triggering the defroster would be an optional feature requiring extra labor.
darius26 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 6:47 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for your reply.

I will try out the suggestions and ask my dealer about the other wiring questions.

I was under the impression that the GMDL-BP bypass kit eliminated the need for further wiring, like all is plug-and-play. Tells you how much I know.

The dome light does come on when any of the doors are opened.

Chris Luongo 
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 7:02 AM / IP Logged  
The GMDLBP is a nice piece. But it does not plug directly into the alarm system.
The installer would connect the following wires, with whatever sort of splices he chooses, to the alarm/remote starter: lock, unlock, panic, remote-start-on, and the alarm's door-trigger input.
The piece of course needs power and ground as well.
It also connects to the car's domelight wire.
And then, finally, there is just one wire that is connected to the car's computer-----this is how the unit "tells" the car to lock or unlock, panic, or disable Passlock to enable remote-start.....it also monitors the car's databus (computer) for the door-open signal.
----------------------------
To simplifiy, this is how the door-trigger works:
1. The GMCLBP monitors the car's databus for the "door-open" signal from the two FRONT doors, as well as the tailgate. If it sees any of these door(s) open, it puts out a ground on its "door-trigger-output" wire, which SHOULD be connected to the alarm system.
2. The REAR doors are not tied into the car's databus, because they do not have computer modules inside them. Instead, the GMDLBP "watches" for the domelight to come on.....if it sees the domelight, it does the same as what's listed above----puts out a ground on its "door-trigger-output" wire, triggering the alarm.
Alternately........the installer may have chosen not to use this feature of the GMDLBP, instead connecting the alarm DIRECTLY to the car's domelight. In this instance, you MUST leave the domelight enabled for the alarm to be triggered.
-----------------------------------------------
Instead of listening for the chirps while arming with a door open..........try this to be sure.
1. Open a window.
2. Close the car doors, set the alarm, and leave it alone for 30 seconds or so-----at least long enough for the delayed domelight to go out.
3. Reach in through the open window, unlock the door by hand, and open it---- as if you were "breaking in."
Does the alarm sound when you do that? If not, take it back to the installer and have him correct the problem.
darius26 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  

well the alarm was triggered when I unlocked and opened the door without disarming. So I guess that wiring is correct.

Is there somewhere I need to program ? The Envoy itself ? The Bypass kit ? the CodeAlarm ? so that the Pre-Arm mode takes effect ? Will programming the Code Alarm for Passive Arming be different ? I believe it's programmed for Active arming, which I was told means I have to press the lock button on the remote. The Passive Arming, again I was told meant that if I close the door, it arms after a period of time ...

Does that make sense ?

kohara73 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  

If your door triggers the alarm, it is hooked up properly.  Unless it's factory security that is sounding. It was not mentioned whether the truck has a factory alarm.  If this is is case, your Code unit may not be monitoring doors.  Passive or active arming should not be any different regarding pre-arm.  Are you sure you are not getting pre-arm?  When you press lock with open door does horn/siren chirp once or twice?

Keith
Chris Luongo 
Posted: February 17, 2006 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
So you want to close the door, and then thirty seconds later, the alarm arms and the doors lock?
That's fairly easy, alhtough you do need the install manual (not the owner's manual) to know what the procedure is.
It will involve opening the door, probably cycling the ignition, tapping the valet switch (part of the LED), and hitting buttons on the remote.
You want to select "passive arming" on, which makes the alarm arm by itself.......separately, select "passive locks" on, if you ALSO want it to lock the doors when it passively arms.
In my experience, passive locks are a good way to lock babies in cars, or lock yourself out when you're getting gas...........you might consider passive arm, but active locks.
Also, if you don't want to program it yourself, or you don't think you're up to it, or if you don't have the manual.......I don't see why the shop wouldn't be willing to run out to the parking lot and do it for you.
darius26 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2006 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  

The vehicle did not have factory alarm.

It's the CodeAlarm that sounds when trigerred.

Thanks for your response. Yeah I understand the passive lock. My bro's locked himself out !

I know without the alarm system, the vehicle could be programmed that when the driver door is open and you hit the lock button, it chimes 3 times . Once all the doors are closed it then locks.

Thanks again.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic