icon

6 Free-air Subs with Pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  

No a sub would definately say free air on the box and literature. They're arent many around anymore because of space restrictions. JL just introduced a new one for boats. That's about the only application where there is still enough room to make them useful.

Wade, when a customer makes me build something I know won't work I make them sign a form that says they have to pay me regardless of sound quality and have to pay me again to fix it. You would be surprised how many people reconsider. I feel for ya man. Bob

There is no such thing as free installation!
monorail 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 3:40 AM / IP Logged  

tcss wrote:
when a customer makes me build something I know won't work I make them sign a form that says they have to pay me regardless of sound quality and have to pay me again to fix it. You would be surprised how many people reconsider.

That's a very good idea. Personally I'd probably tell the dude to take a hike... but I don't do this for a living either. 

Walkercustoms 
Copper - Posts: 219
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 7:28 AM / IP Logged  
Well my brother and I are trying to get enough customers where we can go full time so, we try to do anything with in reason. The six kicker system has made us decide not to work with 8 year stuff anymore. I never thought of the signing the form which now we will do. People see what we can do with with new stuff or aleast equipment that works and we know works. this dude bought these subs and amp for a $100. So, TCSS my man this is what we are going to do if they guy calls back and wants it done right like we tried to tell him when he asked us what we thought we are going to run 3 12s across the rear seat seal that baffel up to the rear seat back to keep the trnk from getting into the cab.
Thanks
Wade
Thanks
Wade
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
Keep plugging away Wade, from your pictures it looks like you and your brother do quality work. I've been doing this for 31 years and when I hit the button and something I've done sounds great it still gives me a rush. Don't know what I'd do if I had to get a real job!
There is no such thing as free installation!
Walkercustoms 
Copper - Posts: 219
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
No kidding I have one and it sux. i am just waiting on my house to go through and I have already talked to a guy that is going to hook me up with a spot right on the highway.
Thanks
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

Sort of off topic, but I used a 15" Pyle free-air sub in a box that was well over 10 cubic feet in volume and I thought it sounded rather rightous. It was for a home theater setup that I had out in my parent's garage (that I had sort of converted into a movie room). Since the box was so freaking huge I think the sub acted as if it was in an infinite baffle setup. It was also ported, by the way. The reason why it was so huge is because, since it was one of my first adventures into box building (over 15 years ago), I didn't get the calculations right for 1.5 cubic feet. Guess I should have known when the front on the box was almost as tall as I was (6'-2". Me, not the box 6 Free-air Subs with Pics - Page 2 -- posted image.).

I would have to agree with what tcss is saying. Just make sure that you get the baffle as air tight to the back of the seat as possible. Any leak to the front air space could cause some sound issues.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
fillupmyfocus 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
Kappa Perfects are free-air. They kinda thump. You could go with a midbass driver like the Kicker SSMB8 8" midbass driver which isn't a true sub but will put the guitars in your face and fill in the gaps. Also you could try old free air kicker 8" subs. Ebay maybe. Good luck.
floridaengineer@gmail.com
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  

t-roy81 wrote:
off topic but how do you tell if a sub is free air will it say it or can any sub go free air?

Any speaker can be mounted IB, but only high-Q low-fs drivers really work well in this alignment.  Also, the power handling must be de-rated to strict thermal limits and sometimes manufacturers are reluctant to publish those.  For descriptions of IB mounting, start HERE.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic