icon

charging system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Stanford1621 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  

I have not deceided what amps to run yet but I will end up with 4000-5000 watts rms,

I just got my 300 amp alternator yesterday, and I'm gonna add 2 deep cycle batteries and keep the stock battery what size batteries should I get, and what are the best batteries for the money?

The system will not be played with the key off.

What about capacitors?

sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

If you dont plan on running the system with the car off then there is no need to add additional batteries.  If you have a H.O. alternator to power your system thats all you need for proper current, I would recommend getting a nice battery to supplement that, but adding multiple batteries only allow you to start the car after running one or more of the extra batteries down all of the way.  If you do a search on this forum for capacitors you will get a number of threads in which people explain how the purpose of caps is completely misunderstood, there is really probably going to be no need to add a cap, unless you really just like the look.  As far as a good battery goes, optima, orbital, and kinetik are all really good names, but like I said, adding multiple batteries if your stereo will not played with the car off will be a waste of your money.

As far as the amp goes, what subs are you powering?  Unless you have some huge subs to move then you probably wont need 4000-5000 rms.  If you post back with what subs you have everyone here can help you pick out an amp to power them.

Stanford1621 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  

I didn't think a 300 amp alternator wold supply enough power for the amps I was worried about voltage drop,  I understan about capacitors that is whay I put it off until I get my charging system up to par first.

for subs I have 4 resonant engineering  sx 15's I would like to put 800-1200 watts on each of them there dual 2 ohm coils, I also have 4 pair of rockford fosgate power 6 1/2's and will be running two 4 channel amps for them with about 75-100 watts on each of them.

For amps I was considering alphasonic two 4 channel amps and 2 pma 1200's, but not sure, I am looking for amps that do 2000 wattsx1 at 2 ohms, I don't think I will have room to use 1 amp per sub, and for reliability don't want to use a single amp running at 1 ohm.

sk8ingsmurf 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
I think that you would be surprised by how much a 300 amp alternator can power.  I am a little curious why you would want to use two four channels?  To me that jsut seems like overkill, I mean if you really just want it for show then that is understandable but there are probably some much better alternatives, like one much larger 4 channel, or two 2 channels (although the strain on the alternator would be about the same on this).   As far as powering the subs, my personal reccomendation would be to get a really powerful amp stable at one ohm, alphasonic might just make one capable of powering all four of these subs, if not I believe orion has one that would do it.  Really wont matter much if you use one or two amps on the subs, Ive just always preferred having as few amps as possible.  Just a thought, but I really am sorta curious about the multiple 4 channels.
Stanford1621 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  

well currently I have two crossfire tek752? and am running it at 2 ohms per channel.

all this is in a 2003 silverado extended cab one of the first thing I did was cutout the rear 4x6 opening to install a 6 1/2.

In an extended cab your actually sitting closer to the rear to the rear speaker then the driver side door speaker which makes it sound very annoying if I use 2 channel amps then I can't use my headunits time delay, (it has 4 ch time delay) if I use 4 channel amps I can have slightly more control.

I had a crossfire bmf1000d runing 1 ohm to four rockford fosgate 12's p2's it lasted about 4 weeks before it went up in smoke due to A speaker terminal breaking off one of the subs and shorting out, the amp never shut off or went into protection, the amp was bought brand new, I have always been under the impression that the lower the resistance the higher the voltge the amplifier sees and that is very hard on an amplifier.

My wife bought the sx 15's for me for christmas but I am tired of spending money on this thing just to have to redo it, this will be the last time, so I want to take my time and do it right reliability is my main concern.

I thought the 2500d is the biggest amp orion makes1700 at 2 ohms.

sk8ingsmurf 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
Orion does have the D5000, which is actually still too small, I did think they had an even larger one that was stable to like .001 ohms or something, might have been an older model.  As far as your time delay goes, your deck wont know the difference between a 2 channel and a 4 channel, its just rca outputs to it.  But even if you were concerned with using two channel amps, why would you use more than one 4 channel amp?  It just doesnt make much sense to me.  What kind of deck do you have?
Stanford1621 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
with 4 channel amps each speaker can be on it's own channel, with  two 2 channel amps 2 speakers would share a channel 4 speakers per amp, when I adjust the time delay 2 rear speakers then whatever other 2 speakers are on that amp will be delayed the same.
Stanford1621 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  
forgot I have an alpine 9813
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
Ok your first post really confused me, it was just very hard to understand quite what you were trying to say.  I do now realize that you said you have four pairs of fosgate 6.5s, I had thougth you only had two, now you definitely can run all four pairs off of one 4 channel, just run it down to 2 ohms.  I am, however, left with a much different question, why do you have four sets of 6.5s?  I cant really think of any situation where you would benefit from having four seperate sets of mids and highs, and especially not in a truck. 
Stanford1621 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  

what else would keep up with 4 15's I am hoping for 145-150db with music

with all the same size mids I don't have to worry about a 4" overpowering a 5 1/4 or a 6 1/2 overpowering a 4'

when using just one size mid you simplify eq tuning, becuase your just tuning for 1 speaker.

I fiberglassed the kickpanels to houea 6 1/2 each door houses a pair and the extended cab doors each house a 6 1/2

plus I got them for half of retail.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic