the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Need Recommendation for Compact 4x75 Amp!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bogey 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
I just noticed that the Helix amps are under 2". Helix is good high-end equipment. This Helix amp is their entry level and puts out 70x4 at 13.8V. Also there are two levels up from this model that meet your height, which can be seen at this same site.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.blaupunktusa.com/BlaupunktUSA/Products/Amplifiers/         look at any of the THA Thin Series
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
rprussell 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all the recommendations.  I just purchased a tried and true JL Audio 300/4.  The specs on that unit were just too impressive, and while it is a bit bigger than I hoped, it is substantially smaller than my old US Acoustics amp and it should just fit under my second row bench seat.

I just received the amp from an on-line vendor that I will leave nameless for the time being.  They are not a JL Audio authorized dealer (none of the discount dealers are), but they have very good feedback on e-bay (99% positive ratings with feedback from well over 1,000 folks).  It was advertised as a brand new, never opened unit.  I haven't installed it yet.  Here's the problem (potentially)...there's no serial number on the amp or the packaging.

Is that to be expected if a JL Audio amp comes from a legit, reputable vendor that just is not an authorized dealer??? 

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
rprussell wrote:

I just received the amp from an on-line vendor that I will leave nameless for the time being.  They are not a JL Audio authorized dealer (none of the discount dealers are), but they have very good feedback on e-bay (99% positive ratings with feedback from well over 1,000 folks).  It was advertised as a brand new, never opened unit.  I haven't installed it yet.  Here's the problem (potentially)...there's no serial number on the amp or the packaging.

Is that to be expected if a JL Audio amp comes from a legit, reputable vendor that just is not an authorized dealer??? 

A non authorized dealer will rip the serial number off of the packing and equipment itself. Sometimes, if they have to take apart the equipment to get at the serial number they put it back togethor wrong and you end up with a useless product. Since you don't get a warranty with it you are screwed. They take it off so that if you need to send it in for warranty work, they can't find out who you bought it from (the main reason why JL won't service any of their products unless it has a serial number and you include a reciept). 

Support your authorized dealer. You can always go to them and talk with someone (you don't have to rely on email or them answering the phone) about any questions you have. Plus you get a full warranty and service. Plus, JL will even sevice anything unless you include the receipt in the package.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with what was said above. Realize that a unauthorized dealer will tell you anything under the sun (usually exactly what you want to hear), in order to get the deal. You have zero warranty as it sits right now. While the unauthorized online vendor sold it to you and said that it had warranty, it has zero as far as the manufacturer and all other manufacturers and dealers are concerned. This means that in the event of a warranty, you must send it back to bozo the clown (if they are still in business), then they either replace the amp with whatever else may be conveinient (as they can more than likely not get the same thing again) or they send it to their repair facility and fix it with non authorized parts that are 99% of the time not even close to the right tolerance of the original parts used. So we just turned the JL amp into a JLJUNK amp that will not do what it was designed to do.

Support the authorized dealers like us, the guys that need and appreciate your business and take the time to answer your questions. A deal is not always about the $ signs, it is also about the information that you are given. Penny saved, pound foolish.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bogey 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
Nice choice on the amp. I have a lot of respect for JL. I would have mentioned it earlier, but I wasn't sure you had enough leeway for it.
Since it will be such a tight fit you may have cooling issues as kfr01 mentioned. You might consider wiring in, or having your installer do it, a fan or two. This one from PartsExpress should do the trick http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=259-114 . Just cut off the plastic plug (fan is for cooling a computer's cpu, but it will work for your purposes as well.) and wire it up with a relay so it will turn off with your amp.
I'll let someone else answer your other question.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic