icon

gauge remote turn-on?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
groggy23 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of wire can you use for remote turn-on lead?  does it matter if it the gauge is bigger/smaller?  I just ran out and I have some scrap 16 gauge speaker wire laying around...
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
That should do the trick.  Just wiring one amp?
groggy23 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
^He has 2 amps one running 100W rms and the other 200W rms @ 14.4v  I'm planning on routing them in the middle as I did with the RCA's..
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
Might not want to run power wires right next to the RCAs.   heads up.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
groggy23 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
^Thats what I thought crutchfield keeps on confusing me on where to run my remote wire. Because they have their's running by the RCA's on the passenger side. I'll just run the remote wire next to power...
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
oooh my bad. remote would probably be fine. Not much current passes through that. I did RCA and the phone line (for boost) on one side. and Power, and remote on the other. I dont know 100% whats the best theoreticaly. If it works, it works.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
coppellstereo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  

I ran the remote next to RCA on my last install, but I usually run it with the power as well.  It doesnt put out much power and I hope wont add much noise to the RCA's.  I'm not sure at what point it is best to use a relay with remote turn on connections.  The more amps you try to turn on with the one wire, could lead to problems with the HU overheating and maybe the remote circuit could get fried. 

Lets see what other people think, how many amps can/should you run off of one remote turn on wire?  And will it add much noise if run by the RCA's?  How much power is typically going through the r.t.w.?

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
2 amps is usually the most you should power your remote with without a relay. You can run the remote wire with the rca's or with the power wires, heck, tests have proven you can run your rca's with your power wires and no extra noise is added to the rca's, its just a myth from back in the day.  If there is noise in your power wires, it going to be everywhere else in the car no matter where you put your rca's.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
coppellstereo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  

The power wires dont emit EMI?  Or is there a threshold - up until a certain point the interference is inaudible?

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 12, 2006 at 5:29 AM / IP Logged  
Buy a spool of 20 ga. Bell wire from the hardware store and you will have remote turn on wiring for a long time.  Cheap.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic