Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
Here’s what I have:
Car:                     Saturn SL1
Head:                    Clarion VRX935VD
Speakers:               Factory
Amp (looking to replace):     Lanzar Vibe430
Replacing:
     Speakers with:          Infinity Kappa 652.7I (75rms/225peak/2ohms)

Adding:
Sub:     Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1D (350rms/1400peak/2ohms)
     Housed in a box made in my spare tire well which will also house the sub amp.
Advice needed:
Need advice on amps. Not looking to break the bank. Want good clean sound and would like to get the most bang from the speakers
     A 4 channel for the fronts and rears and mono or 2 channel for the sub.
Any help is appreciated
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  

Well, there are several options to look at.  Look for a good quality name like MTX, Orion, Hifonics, etc.  Not sure on the prices, but I know these are all good amps.  If you are looking to save cash--look on eBay.  Make sure the seller will accept the return of a DOA, though.  Also, for the sub amp, look for a mono amd that has class d circuitry, as it will strain the car's electrical sysyem less.

I noticed your door speakers are 2 ohm.  This will not yield the best sound as it will have a higher THD.  A 4 channel amp that produces 75wpc at 4 ohms will not be a great deal more than one that produces 75 wpc at 2 ohm.  I would recomend you get the 4 ohm version and a little more powerful amp.

There are people on here more qualified to help you though, but this should get you started searching.

There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
badtazboy 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
I have looked at Hifonics:
Sub: Zeus TXi7506 (1x500 @ 2ohms)
Front & Rears: Zeus TXi4406 (4x110 @ 2ohms)
I’m seeing that Infinity Kappa's are all 2ohm, their Reference series are running at 4ohm. I don’t do any balance or fader adjustments, so couldn’t I run the speakers series and bridge the amp?
oxygen65 
Silver - Posts: 252
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
kenwood makes some good 4 channels and mono amps otherwise you could just look at gettin 1 6 channel amp like a jl audio amp, they have a really nice 6 channel that puts out 75 rms to all 6 channels
j_darling2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  

You could, but then you'd only need a 2 channel amp that puts out 150 watts.  I looked on crutchfield, and they on;y show a 2-ohm version, so I guess you're right. 

If you can only get the 2 ohm version, I would go ahead and get a 4 channel at about 75 wpc at 2 ohm so you'll still have the ballance and fader control.  Or if you wired in series like you said (which I wouldn't do, but it will still work no problem) you could still have balance OR fade.

maybe look into the infinity perfects, even though they cost more they are offered in a 4 ohm impedance.

Jacob

There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
badtazboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
The problem I have with the Perfects is that they are components. I am looking at keeping looks stock.
I am a Sounder not a Shower.
The Hifonics that I mentioned earlier, sorry wrong amp earlier.
The Hifonics that looks (by the rms 4x75@2ohms) should have been the Zeus ZXi 3406.
Now I being not too technical when it comes to this would say that it should be an even match.
Isn't the rms important?
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 1:47 AM / IP Logged  
Rms is important. You don't want to stray too far from that rms number. My general rule of thumb is 60% of the maximum or peak wattage. This isn't true for every speaker of course, but it usually works quite well. If your looking to save money on car audio products then check out www.onlinecarstereo.com if you haven't already. They carry a very wide variety of equipment at some very cheap prices! Don't worry about them being a bad company to order from either. They have a 1 year warranty on all there new products and they are the only one with a consumer rating of a perfect 10 out of 10! If you haven't been there yet, then go check'em out. As far as the speakers go I'd get a mono amp for your sub and a four channel for the rest... both amps Infinity. JL is good, but you said you didn't want to spend a whole lot.... big $$$ for anything that says JL on it! Great company, but their prices are rediculous. In my opinion, you could get something just as good for WAY cheaper. (like infinity, or Orion)
badtazboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
In comparison which would give a cleaner sound Hifonics or JL? In comparison shopping there isn’t much of a price difference
Hifonics ZXi6006 $200.00
Hifonics ZXi4406 $180.00
JL E1400D $200.00
JL E4300 $200.00
I am working with a budget of un $1000 for speakers, sub and amps.
j_darling2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  

Well, between the JL or Hifonics, I don't think there will be much difference.  I would go with the JL just because it is the better name and better quality, IMO

badtazboy wrote:
The problem I have with the Perfects is that they are components. I am looking at keeping looks stock.
I am a Sounder not a Shower.

The component sets actually sound better because they create a spatial difference between the lows and highs.  Even though you can't actively hear the different frequencies at different places, I will gurantee that the exact ame woofer/tweeter setup will sound better in a component set as compared to a coaxial set.

Anyway, just my $0.02.  Good luck.  Any more questions just ask.

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  

Uhh, where did you find a JL E-1400 for $200? Is that new with a warranty?

There is no such thing as free installation!
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic