the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Choosing Amps?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
j_darling2007 wrote:

Well, between the JL or Hifonics, I don't think there will be much difference.  I would go with the JL just because it is the better name and better quality, IMO

badtazboy wrote:
The problem I have with the Perfects is that they are components. I am looking at keeping looks stock.
I am a Sounder not a Shower.

The component sets actually sound better because they create a spatial difference between the lows and highs.  Even though you can't actively hear the different frequencies at different places, I will gurantee that the exact ame woofer/tweeter setup will sound better in a component set as compared to a coaxial set.

Anyway, just my $0.02.  Good luck.  Any more questions just ask.

A lot more benefits to components.  Higher quality and steeper crossovers, higher power handling, and ability to place the tweeter on axis with your listening position all improve sound quality in a car audio system dramatically, imo. 

Try a component design that allows you to mount the tweeter in a coaxial position.  It isn't ideal, but allows you to keep the stock look while obtaining many of the benefits of components. 

As for the amplifier.  Spend as much money as possible on the speakers and your speaker install.  Speaker quality and speaker install contributes MUCH MUCH more to the overall quality and character of the sound than the amplifier.  Most midrange amplifiers all sound exactly the same, for all practical purposes, in a car.  Go expensive on the speakers, cheap on the amp, if you are on a limited budget. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  

With the power that you need, all can be had in a single amplifier. There is no need in this application for 2 amplifiers. You have one amp to install, this minimizes the chance of ground loops, it also takes less real estate in your trunk. It then saves you a good amount of $ on wiring (use that for the better front speakers). If you buy the right amplifier, it will also be the perfect amount of power for the application. I would short list the Crossfire VR705D and the Eclipse PA5532 amplifiers right now before going off on the dual amp route. Both are rated very conservatively at 50w x 4 rms + 300w x 1 rms (2ohm on the sub), making more power of course as they both use unregulated power supplies. Count on them being around the 75w x 4 and 400w x 1 mark for the most part (this comes from practical hands on experience multiple times over). I will only recommend things that I know will do the job properly and have a highly predicatable outcome in the end.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
badtazboy 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
kfr01 worte:
A lot more benefits to components. Higher quality and steeper crossovers, higher power handling, and ability to place the tweeter on axis with your listening position all improve sound quality in a car audio system dramatically, imo.
Try a component design that allows you to mount the tweeter in a coaxial position. It isn't ideal, but allows you to keep the stock look while obtaining many of the benefits of components.
As for the amplifier. Spend as much money as possible on the speakers and your speaker install. Speaker quality and speaker install contributes MUCH MUCH more to the overall quality and character of the sound than the amplifier. Most midrange amplifiers all sound exactly the same, for all practical purposes, in a car. Go expensive on the speakers, cheap on the amp, if you are on a limited budget.
The component system the I originally was looking at was Polk db6750. They are rated at 100rms/300max @ 4ohms. The Lanzar Vibe430 150rms/250max that I currently have would suffice for them. If I was to spend more on speakers then I could use the 4 channel that I currently have.
forbidden wrote:
With the power that you need, all can be had in a single amplifier. There is no need in this application for 2 amplifiers. You have one amp to install, this minimi! zes the chance of ground loops, it also takes less real estate in your trunk. It then saves you a good amount of $ on wiring (use that for the better front speakers). If you buy the right amplifier, it will also be the perfect amount of power for the application. I would short list the Crossfire VR705D and the Eclipse PA5532 amplifiers right now before going off on the dual amp route. Both are rated very conservatively at 50w x 4 rms + 300w x 1 rms (2ohm on the sub), making more power of course as they both use unregulated power supplies. Count on them being around the 75w x 4 and 400w x 1 mark for the most part (this comes from practical hands on experience multiple times over). I will only recommend things that I know will do the job properly and have a highly predicatable outcome in the end.
The problem with a 6 channel that I would have is hiding it. My current amp is hidden up under the rear deck. And I would be mounting the sub amp with the sub in the spare well enclosure that I will be making.
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  

badtazboy wrote:
kfr01 worte:
The component system the I originally was looking at was Polk db6750. They are rated at 100rms/300max @ 4ohms. The Lanzar Vibe430 150rms/250max that I currently have would suffice for them. If I was to spend more on speakers then I could use the 4 channel that I currently have.

Do it.  While you'll eventually want to replace the Lanzar, you'll be far happier in the long run if you invest in the best speakers and installation you can afford.

badtazboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
kfr01, would you have any suggestions for a sub?
I will have about 6” to 61/2” mounting depth in my spare well. I was looking at the Infinity to just keep with branding but now I guess I’m open to anything.
But then I go back to my original question would be amp. I would be buying the sub and the amp at the same time because I will be building the box with the sub and amp together.
I may have a limited income to work with but I can always collect components and install.
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  

If I were you, I would go ahead and do the front stage first, subwoofer second, and the rear stage last.  Buy a high quality 5 channel amp to start with the front stage speakers, and then add the sub and rear stage next as you get the cash.   Both amps forbidden  recomended are great choices.

There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
kfr01 
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  

badtazboy wrote:
kfr01, would you have any suggestions for a sub?
I will have about 6” to 61/2” mounting depth in my spare well. I was looking at the Infinity to just keep with branding but now I guess I’m open to anything.
But then I go back to my original question would be amp. I would be buying the sub and the amp at the same time because I will be building the box with the sub and amp together.
I may have a limited income to work with but I can always collect components and install.

That's pretty shallow.  If I were buying a subwoofer right now, it would surely be from Adire's brand new line.  A single 10" Koda or Brahma.

http://www.adireaudio.com/Mobile/KodaSeries.htm   or

http://www.adireaudio.com/Mobile/BrahmaSeries.htm

The Koda is more shallow, I would find some way to squeeze it in.  Retail is ~$220 on the Koda.

badtazboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
With a five channel amp how much flexibility do I have with woofer and power? As looking and as forbidden suggested to get a shallow mount sub (because of my limited space) a five channel amps don’t put out much power.
And looking at different five channels they are putting out low four channel power.
Then there’s the mounting. Five channels all seem too long for where I want to install.
badtazboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
kfr01 wrote:
That's pretty shallow. If I were buying a subwoofer right now, it would surely be from Adire's brand new line. A single 10" Koda or Brahma.
http://www.adireaudio.com/Mobile/KodaSeries.htm   or
http://www.adireaudio.com/Mobile/BrahmaSeries.htm
The Koda is more shallow, I would find some way to squeeze it in. Retail is ~$220 on the Koda.
What are your thoughts in Rockford? Coming in March they have a shallow mount.
kfr01 
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  

badtazboy wrote:
With a five channel amp how much flexibility do I have with woofer and power? As looking and as forbidden suggested to get a shallow mount sub (because of my limited space) a five channel amps don’t put out much power.
And looking at different five channels they are putting out low four channel power.
Then there’s the mounting. Five channels all seem too long for where I want to install.

First, if you're going for an SQ vehicle you don't need much power.  Second, remember that every doubling of power only get you 3db more spl, max.  Third, most single 10" subs can't really handle that much power, especially shallow mount ones. 

So.  Don't worry about not having much power.  150w for an SQ sub, without eq being used, should be sufficient. 

You have pointed out the two negatives to a five-channel single amp system.  Lack of flexibility and difficulty finding a single large mounting space for it. 

I find a way to get the Koda in your car.  That's my recommendation.  Try this amp: 

http://www.eclipse-web.com/amp/xa5000.html

Find a way to mount it. 

You'd have the base of a killer SQ setup.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic