icon

Choosing Amps?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
badtazboy 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2006 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
What are thoughts on Phoenix Gold and Hifonics?
They seem to be reasonability priced, around $300, for what I need.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2006 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
hifonics before pg...
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
badtazboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
kfr01, which Koda would you suggest, 10D4, 10D8, 12D4 or 12D8?
I have a line on an Eclipse PA5532 amp. Heavily considering it, kind of high but seems to have the most power out there for a 5 channel.
badtazboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
Lost out on the Eclipse Choosing Amps? - Page 3 -- posted image.. Back to square one on the amp.
Thoughts on Alphasonik?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
badtazboy, Alphasonik amps are really low-end, I wouldn't own one.  The new Koda subwoofers are fantastic performers, real bargains for the price especially for an SQ setup.  When you say you "lost out on the Eclipse," does this mean you are buying from eBay?  You might want to check with your local dealers and see what kind of amps are available locally.  These will come with a warranty!
Support the12volt.com
badtazboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
I was watching an Eclipse PA5532 on eBay.
Listing ended without meeting reserve.
They were will to sell for $325+ship.
It was clamed to be new.
I know things on eBay don’t come with a warranty but things always have a way of dieing after the warranty expires, and most of the time things on eBay are ½ to ¾ cheaper than in a store.
(picked up a Clarion VRX935VD off eBay for $600 new (retailed for $2600 at the time) and now just after 2 years (warranty for retail install) the cd doesn’t work and screen won’t open, where’s the 2 year/$2600 value there?)
DYohn, would you have any suggestions on a 5 channel? People have suggested Eclipse and Crossfire.
I have seen Hifonics at decent prices.
Currently I am using a Lanzar that is about 8 yrs old (never a problem just looking to upgrade to better/cleaner)
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
My favorite 5-channel amp is and always has been the Memphis Belle.  I haven't heard the Eclipse, but assuming it is up to their normal high standards it sound be pretty nice.
Support the12volt.com
badtazboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
Memphis is too far out for what I’m looking to spend. And too long. I have 20” to mount an amp.
I originally started with 1000 to up grade.
Spent 250 on front and rears, still need sub (around 250 for Koda), amp and new wires.
DYohn 
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm.  A decent quality 5-channel amp for under $300?  Not gonna happen unless it's used, I'm afraid.  The PG Octane 5-channel is decent, as is the PPI DCX800.5.  I don't know anything about the Hifonics 5-channel that was mentioned before, but they generally make decent gear.  JL Audio used to make a 5-channel, but in that price range you'd be better off with a Memphis.  By the way, there is a smaller version of the Belle, the "Baby Belle" 16-MCH600 that will just fit into a 20" space.   But again, finding any of these new for under $300 will be a challenge.
Support the12volt.com
badtazboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  
Kfr01’s input was Hifonics before Phoenix Gold.
I know everyone has there own opinion and I am taking everyone’s input and figuring out the best/max with a budget.
I know the warranty risk but eBay is always cheaper.
Phoenix Gold – Octane-R 9.0:5 (125x4, 400x1) $269
Hifonics – Zeus-ZXi 8006 (110X4, 300X1) $260
Have heard of PG never Hifonics until reading through Car Audio.
Just to kind of reiterate what I have and what I’m doing:
Have a Saturn SL1 ... looking at keeping things hidden, need trunk.
Own a Clarion VRX935VD     (going in for repair)
Lanzar Vibe430 ... looking to replace
Just ordered 2 sets Polk db6750 (100/300)
Will be ordering Koda 12D4 ... to install in a spare tire well
And the big question I started was an amp to be mounted up under the rear deck.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic