icon

$2500 system, what’s the best?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jquest03 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  

Okay i have $2000-$2500 for a 2 sub and 2 amp setup for my 2001 Olds Aurora.  I am hearing conflicting information about the Alpine Type X and Jl Audio W6.   Local installers say the Type X is the way to go (coming from JL dealers at that).  I would like more poeple to weigh in on this b/c i have had multiple systems and have NEVER been satisfied.  I like alot of bass b/c i listen to mostly hip-hop, but i do like clarity also.  I can't test these speakers in my car b/c my car isn't wired for a system yet. I am relying on the advice i get from this forum for my purchase.  If anyone has another setup that would be better than these two within my budget than please spill your guts. 

I'm new in the fiberglass arena and my first experience is goign to be with my car.  I'm  fiberglassing my entire trunk, door panels, and center console so my purchase is very much going to affect what color fabric i go with and paints.  I want to finally get a system i'm proud of.  Please help!!!!!!

jquest03 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
I forgot to mention, I'd like the amp and sub to be the same manufacturer (mainly for cosmetics).  But hey i might change my mind if someone has a better idea.
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
2500 for 2 subs and 2 amps. your going to probably need more because you will prooobably need a high output alternator, unless you budget that in. JL is alright, I went to tweeters and talked to alot of their guys and they recomended me stay away from the type X. And if you actually play with it, its too tight, for my likings anyway. Look at RE as well. there are more brands but I'll let other people who actually know about them tell you :) have fun enjoy the bass, and good luck with the fiberglass get pics up when you are done.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
jquest03 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
The alternator and battery are not apart of my budget.  RE, im not sure what that is?  Once i figure out what subs and amp im getting i will start right away on the fiberglass project.  I just dropped $4000 on equipment and tools so i can start fiberglassing, painting, (anything car audio-marine audio).
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
RESONANT ENGINEERING
They are pretty nice. They have a few models, Check out the web site I will link to down lower. they are pretty impressive looking and sounding. especially since your fiberglassing if you had them with the magnets aiming out so people could see them.
XXX's not the MTs, MT is too serious SPL and probably not good for a daily, I'm not sure though. hopefully you can find a localish shop where you can demo them.
http://www.reaudio.com/html/
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  

RE does not for the most part build their own speakers. They shop out of a book and have someone assemble equipment based on that. Not that this is bad as a great number of companies do this but it is always nice to know. The XXX for example is a Adire sourced sub if I am correct, I am sure that Stephen K can chime in on this. (Adire is a great little company and is also a build house (correct me if I am wrong Stephen).

For your budget you need to consider many things. Before I even think about mentioning what you should look at, I want to know what the balance of the system will be (or is) and what your idea of loud is. A system that is designed for overall loudness is one that is radically different in design from one that sounds good. There is a point in threshold of human hearing that one can no longer distinguish good sound from loud sound. So we really need to figure out where you want or need to be.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
darthness 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
The new XXX is no longer XLB^2 (adire's motor technology or something)... if you were to go with RE Audio.. i'd probably have to tell you to get the SX series... 15"s. give them 2000w and a good ported box... spend whats left on your electrical system, adecent pair of front speakers and a head unit. you should be able to break even.
and how did you spend $4 grand on tool to fiberglass? i got away with $50 ;). if you have so much disposable money, why not share it with me?
jquest03 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  

I want to find a happy medium.  Maybe that is too much to ask for but if i can find it then that's what i want.  I want to be able to hit hard when im in the mood to crank up some "ghetto" beats, or hit smooth and crisp when i want to hear some R&B or some <C.C.R. (JUST KIDDING)>.  The last system i had consisted of the Kicker 15 inch Solo Barick L7 in a ported box with the MTX 81000D.  It was nice for the hip hop beats but not so nice for all other music.  If i had a choice, i'd lean more to the SPL then the SQ, but i'd like both if that's possible.  I mean they make EXPENSIVE subs and amps for a reason right? Is there anything that is flexible enough for both within my budget? 

I am from Indiana. It seems everyone is from either Canada, the East Coast or West Coast....Where are my MID-WEST poeple at?  MUCH LOVE TO EVERYONE THO!

jquest03 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  

DARTHNESS- (sorry i havent learned how to do the quote copy/paste thing yet on here---i'm still a rookie!)

If there is one thing i know about myself....I KNOW how to spend money.  I spent $4 grand by buying all top-notch equipment--BOSCH, INGERSROLL, and the like.  I figured if im going to do it, i better have the right tools to do it well.  Im in college studying accounting and finance, so i know that if you spend your money on the right things--your investment will go far.   Plus, i didnt have a single hammer or wrench to my name, so i basically had to get all new stuff. 

downstarinc 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
Im a jl fan...ide go with a whole jl system...ide go with 4 speakers (xr) and 4 ch. amp(300/4) and a w7 sub and a 1000/1 amp...that will give you the clear high/mids and the low bass...and be around ur budget...you could get the speakers for roughly $600, amps for $1200, and sub for $700...roughly...look around, try ebay...jus my 2 cents.
jl audio..nuff said
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic