icon

$2500 system, what’s the best?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 1:38 AM / IP Logged  
Just remember jquest03, the best doesn't mean the most expensive. Take JL Audio for example. Their products are top notch and I love the company, but their prices are ridiculous! You can find just as good of products (if not better) for a way cheaper price. As I always recommend.... go with Orion. They have high quality products at an affordable price. You just can't beat that. Great performance in both SPL and SQ as well as durability and reliability. Choose either SPL or SQ though. Both is just not likely. Sometimes high prices don't mean the highest quality. Why spend so much when you can get something just as good for a fraction of the price. Of course this doesn't apply to rich people where money is of no importance. Since the large majority of the world isn't rich, saving money where possible would be the better route. There is many companies to choose from with that price range, but I would stick to Orion. If you really want to blow some money then go with Orion's H2 subs! They are VERY loud and decent for sound. There is no such thing as too loud! The bass can always be turned down!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
There is also no such thing as "the best."  I recomend you take your $2500 to a good car audio shop and work with a local professional to design a custom enclosure for your vehicle filled with the speakers and amps you like the most.
Support the12volt.com
darthness 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
indeed. go somewhere where you can try before you buy. thats your best bet.
explorer94 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2006 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

$2000 is more than enough for a good system. I have a Explorer with 4 MTX thunder 8000's 12's with a 81000D MTX amp,  2 lightnong caps and a pioneer premier head unit. All together I paid $1700 including the 0/1 guage power wire.

I have had many systems. I had L7's, Re, Rockford, and alpine. I have been through many subs.  I like good sounding bass but when I have to crank it  the bass hurts.

You can't go wrong with MTX. I got my subs from Ubid.com $111 a peice.  Re are great subs I hit harder with 4 MTX pushing a 1000rms than a guy with 3Re 12's pushing 1800RMS.

Check into Image Dynamics.  There subs are absolutley amazing. My friend had 1 ID-max 12 and hit 142db. If it is expensive doesn't mean that is is good. Ask around before you purchases anything.

I prefer MTX. I love them. They are competition quality no doubt.

-- ---xxxx---
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2006 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
For the system you are asking for I would definately reccomend heading to your local dealer and talking to them, but if they really cant help you out take a peak into getting 2 Adire Audio Tumult's and power them with a nice 2000 watt amp such as a crossfire VR2000D, I make that reccomendation because I have owned many amps and that is the only one I can say so far that actually produces the signal it recieves.  With that you should have enough money left over for a 200+ amp alternator which is VERY MUCH NEEDED.  If you don't get a high output alternator I will personally drive down to your house and slap the stupid out of you.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
remarkable53 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2006 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  

Having read your post i wondered if the budget included any use of Dynamat before the 1st wire is laid in? If not most anything you buy at any price will sound just like the other systems that you were never satisfied with. If my memory serves me correctly i would tell you that the very 1st thing you do is lay Dynamat Extreme over and inside both doors and while your at it tear out the rear quarter panels and finish the job.    Especially if you are going to fiberglass all what you said because the interior will be so reflective and "bouncy" instead of dead and still. All the products mentioned are excellent in their own right but when you as a customer come into my shop and ask me what is better this or that? I will ask you "what is better blue or red?? The best systems are done way before the 1st wire is laid or screw turned. Its all about the prep, prep, and more prep that way there should be little or no "suprises" when finished. Oh yeah one last thing, i firmly believe that the problem with 98% of systems in your price range is incorrect crossover settings in the bass/ midbass and the transfer or rolloff from the sub to mids. I contend that it is this not so much the woofers, amps, or box is the problem.

thanks for letting me get my 2cents in

mark  @ sounds good to me ....tempe, az

remarkable53
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2006 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
I'm guessing that you have no idea how to do all of this stuff yourself so I'm going to suggest that you go down to your local dealer and tell them what you want and go from there. But if you do know how to put this stuff together and make a fiberglass enclosures and get everything all set up. You should go look at Adire Audio for the subs, or eclipse titanium's, and Zapco for the amps, or eclipse amps. Gust figure out what to use for the box. If your really going to spend all this money on a system with all this expensive equipment you really need to now what you are doing to make sure you don't mess up your nice new stuff. Better to be safe then sorry!
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
jquest03 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2006 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  

Wow i thought this topic was dead..10 days ago...glad i checked it. Okay where do i begin:  I am going to dynamat xtreme my entire car, top to bottom.  I have an Olds Aurora so it is pretty insulated already but i am defintaely going to add alot of sound deadening material to it before i get started. 

As far as the system goes I have pretty much decided on not going with Alpine or JL.  I like the idea of going either Image Dynamics or Adire.  I've always wanted somethign different than what people have around here and i assure you not many have Adire or ID in Indianapolis.  I wanted to keep the amp and sub from the same manufacturer for cosmetic reasons but i guess that won't be the case if i go this route.  SO the next question is how do i get ahold of Adire or ID? And what brand of amp should i go with? I guess the popular choice is zapco. 

I am fiberglassing the entire set-up.  Anyone know where i can get flexible wood?

jquest03 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2006 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

Okay so i did some homework on Adire.  Why didn't anyone tell me that they are in bed  with Rockford Fosgate??? Is this still the case?

what about ARC?? Is anyone familiar with this line.  I am looking at this setup: Arc-Foose 1200.1 amp with two Arc-Flatline 12" subs.  I can't demo these subs and amps anywhere so i'd like some input. Thanks again to everyone who has provided their "expertise".

explorer94 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2006 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  

Go to Image Dynamics website. I think that you have to purchase it through them. You can't go wrong with Image Dynamics. The are a bit pricey but they are some sweet sounding subs. They are great for SPL and sound quality.

I have had many amps. I have had Kenwood, Hi-fonics, rockford, and MTX.  The best amp that I have ever owned would be a MTX 81000d class D amp. It has a lot of power. I never knew a amp could be that powerful. You will absolutley be amazed.

If i might add look at Elemental Designs. They have some excellent subs too. Just as good as ID, RE, or Adire. They are reasonably priced too.

-- ---xxxx---
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic