icon

791 into 2003 350z

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 22, 2006 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  

Nissan uses the PNP switch (Park/Neutral position) to detect no load engine reving conditions.  This PNP switch is factory installed INSIDE the tranny.  It is a great, reliable way to remote start YOUR manual transmission.  I'm not even sure why you would mess with a magnetic reed switch, let alone 7 of them! 

Yes, the PNP switch is mechanical, and CAN fail.  You should definately verify its operation at least once a month.  But,  if you think about it, how many times have you seen reverse lights that didn't work when you put a car in reverse?  My point is is that those switches are more then capable to outlast the car.  Of course I did read not too long ago about a guy who was 'speed shifting' and broke one of the two switches (either the reverse or PNP switch, I can't remember which one) and it locked his tranny up.

To control the windows you'll definately have to go in to the doors.  You have to anyway to tag the OEM alarm arm and disarm.  I've read about adding wires to the OEM BCM but I would be hesitant to shove bare wires in this BCM and hold them there with wire ties.

Also, be careful when you run your wires through the doors.  Nissan doors seem to retain a LOT of water.  Your wire will provide a channel for the water to follow to enter the cabin.  Directly beneath where the wiring comes in from the door is the BCM.  There has been more then one Nissan BCM fried from water dripping on it.  A telltale sign seems to be the rear wiper moving when remotely locking and unlocking the car.

Theres a ton of info on my350z.com about alarm installs (I'm on there quite a bit, I own a fully built TT G35!)

Good luck,

Kevin Pierson
cosmoworks 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2006 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  

crazy z wrote:
Okay about the clutch I am still alittle hestiant...I tested the wires tonight and the fluke was saying that the wire is neither neg or pos triggered.  It was reading like 288 ohms. 

Does the fluke speak French too?  What are you measuring ohms for?  The clutch interlock switch has two wires coming out of it (wire colors given to you in my last post).  Clutch goes down, wires are connected... simple as that.  Use a relay to simulate that.  But if you really wanna know where the two leads go to:  One lead goes to switched +12V, and the other lead goes to pin 43 on the IPDM module in the engine bay.  You're simply just measuring input resistance of the starter CPU in the IPDM.  So yes, it's positive tripped, but who cares?

crazy z wrote:
30- input from clutch switch (forgot color since i didnt write down when I was testing)

87-output from clutch switch

85-ground (i know it can be 85 or 86) but I do 85 out of habbit bc whenever a relay has spike suppression diode it has to be liek this or it wont work correctly.

86-starter wire?  I would put this on key side correct? 

No even gonna answer this one.  As cntrylvr79 stated, that's a pretty basic question to ask if you're a full time installer.

KPierson wrote:
Nissan uses the PNP switch (Park/Neutral position) to detect no load engine reving conditions.  This PNP switch is factory installed INSIDE the tranny.  It is a great, reliable way to remote start YOUR manual transmission.  I'm not even sure why you would mess with a magnetic reed switch, let alone 7 of them! 

Yes, the PNP switch is mechanical, and CAN fail.  You should definately verify its operation at least once a month.  But,  if you think about it, how many times have you seen reverse lights that didn't work when you put a car in reverse?  My point is is that those switches are more then capable to outlast the car.  Of course I did read not too long ago about a guy who was 'speed shifting' and broke one of the two switches (either the reverse or PNP switch, I can't remember which one) and it locked his tranny up. 

Exactly! No need to mess with reed switches or mickey mouse any kind of setup when the PNP switch exists on the tranny from the factory.  In fact, you don't even need to test for failure, since you'll generate a Check engine light and OBD2 code 0705 if the switch goes bad. 

crazy z 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2006 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

I was going to just use the PNP wire and setup relay to since if the ebrake was pulled up.  But i knew I would get bashed either way if i said I was using a manual or not or magnetic switches.  But O well you live and learn.  Thanks for all info that was provided.

crazy z
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 26, 2006 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, people preach the dangers of a remote start on a manual here quite a bit I've noticed.  My personal feeling on it is if the factory provides a NSS switch on a manual car then its just as safe as an auto.  Most people forget (or overlook) that the NSS interlock that is built in on autos is typically mechanical, and it can wear out/break/be bypassed and end up just as unsafe as a manual tranny with no NSS provision. 

That being said, as a professional installer (which I no longer am) I would never install a remote start on a customers manual transmission, regardless of the presence of an OEM NSS.  :)

Kevin Pierson
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic