icon

dash design

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vmog23 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2006 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
no i dont think so.  if i could just get the curves i need i will be fine.  oh and a lot of time dash design - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
cdoolittle16 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2006 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  

What about expansion foam. You could get all the curve you want with that stuff!

I love custom audio like a fat kid loves cake!
vmog23 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  

thats an idea. thanks

i think something else that might work is molding it flexes just enough to give me the slight curve i am looking for. thanks for all your help i will post pics as i godash design - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2006 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  

A: your gonna want to do it in at least two pieces...a top one and bottom one, make the top overlap the bottom one with a rabbit joint.

B: your gonna have to remove the windshield for this, and cover the entire interior of your truck in aluminum foil..

C: your gonna have to build it all up using MDF most likely, you will need a scroll saw and jig saw to cut out the shapes...start where the dash meets the doors...trace it out cut pieces to match where they meet and go from there on the rest of the design..eith make multiple copies of those pieces or change them to the contours you want. you will want to build and cut a piece that will follow the windshield along the top of the fire wall..incorporate factory mounting points aswell.

D: your gonna have to build a colar for around the steering coloum...this may also have to be done in a couple separate pieces

E: if you gonna round out your dash you may want to hit a wreckers and get some up to date dash vents and stuff too cause the squres ones are going to look like poop in a nice smooth round dash.

F: you will have to make mounting rings for all your factory stuff to go back in, much like sub woofer rings, rabbit the edges so can afford build up room.

G: once the frame work is made up for the top, armature will most likely require braces at ten inch or so intervals...any larger and you risk serious sagging in your final product you may want to go as close as 6"...at anyrate you will need verticle and horizontal braces. again 1/2 strips of MDF will work fine for this..BTW you want to build all this into the truck as you go. and then make sure it will come out as well.  once it is fitted and can come out WITHOUT flexing you can remove it and stretch the fabric and glass it up..

H: Mount it back in the truck make sure it fits ( this is where if you have to crack it to make it fit you should..cut away pieces to account for oops and then reconfigure it) and then add a couple layers of glass to it in the truck and then a layer of Kitty hair to it...this will prevent it from warping, mind you so will a super strong armature...

J: once the top is all sanded out you can begin framing up the bottom portion of the dash...this will be mucheasier since it wont have to many things going on...

K: i too think you maybe in over head on this, but give it a go, it will be a very steep learning curve and fun at the same time...

Fiberglass Guru.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic