icon

infinity kappa 12.1DVC box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2006 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
hello, i just built a box for my infintiy kappa 12.1 DVC, i didn't have the papers that should of been with it but i used the info in my term pro software. in the end i came up with a box that was 14" high, 16.5" wide, and 15" deep with a rectangular port measureing 2" wide, 14" high, and 16" long, according to the info i saw on the screen that sub should sound really nice in my 1995 neon. but when i get it there and run it off my kenwood excelon X301T amp i don't get alot of sound (low 130's for spl) I know the kappa perfects are known to have there share of sound but is the information in my term pro software wrong or did i do something wrong? like maybe should have gone with a sealed box?
Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2006 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
first i would like to know what your amps rms is and the way you have your subs wired? and secondly if it looks good on the software then chances are that it is right unless you entered something incorrectly. and there is no reason that the sub would be louder in a seal box. it is actually the other way around. and if you have made your box correctly it will have the same sq that a sealed box will have but with more spl. i do know that those subs are recommended to be in a sealed box. but you can put them in a ported box gust as easily. i think it might have to do with how you have them wired up.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
stang351w 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2006 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
there running 2 ohms off my kenwood excelon X301T (the 2 channel 800 watt peak amp with the power slide door, not sure if it's 2 ohms stable...but it's holding)
Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2006 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
peak rating means nuthing ignore it, go buy the rms which would usually be half of that
Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 23, 2006 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
Seems to me you must have done very well with that to get a reading over 130.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2006 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
I agree.  130 db with a single Kappa 12 in a 1.3 cuft ported enclosure with that amp is pretty good.  That enclosure is too small for the woofer if you want it ported, by the way.  The Kenwood amp is not rated for a 2-ohm load when bridged.  It is rated at 100 watts X2 @ 4 ohms, 200 watts X2 @ 2 ohms, so it is only designed to sustain a 4-ohm minimum bridged load.
Support the12volt.com
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2006 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
i recently did 2 kappa perfects in my truck sealed though. but the recomendations for vented was 1.75 cu ft. just to let you know.
Here
http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Boxes%20and%20Parameters/P12.1d_f.pdf
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
130 from a single kappa 12 in a very small ported box? I'd be pretty happy with that.
stang351w 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
alright...i don't feel so bad now lol, it's just i've read alot of things on the kappa's and people saying they can get quiet loud while rataining a fair amount of SQ, i didn't figure my amp was 2 ohm stable but it's all i've got right now, i've got a pair of GTO601.1's comming that'll be connected to a pair of DD 3500 12" subs.  so this was just to try out a kappa and see how it was going to be. new dealer to them and all. just out of idle thought, what would be better, put it in the sealed box or ported. i do realise that a ported box will be louder just because of the design. but i'd like the more reliable setup that will still put a smile on a customers face.
Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
I've had an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 in a 1.1 cuft sealed enclosure for a couple of years and it sounds great.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic