icon

Re-learn resistance in Passlock II

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ExactOh 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2006 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

I am not trying to install a remote starter, but I have a truck that will not allow the injector to pulse to start the vehicle.

Is there any way to re-learn the resistance value from the ignition cylinder on this system?

KLS Glass Tinting & Electronics
john ogrady 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2006 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  

for the passlock system to re-learn the resistance.Turn the key on on and let it sit for 10 min.

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 26, 2006 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
Troubleshoot first.
1. What kind of car?
2. Attempt to start the engine, leave the ignition switch in the Run posistion, and observe the Security light in the dash........ is it steady, off, or flashing?
ExactOh 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2006 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  

It is a 1999 Chevy Full-Size Van.  We have been trying to diagnose why this thing won't start for two weeks.  We initially had low fuel pressure, so we changed out the fuel pump.  We have spark and fuel pressure now, but the thing acts as though the Passlock II security is not allowing the injectors to fire.  The thing will start each time, but for only a second or two, then dies.  The only thing NOT pointing to the Passlock II system being the culprit is that the security light is not on constant in the dash like I've seen before on cars that I've installed remote starters on.

I am ready to burn this thing up I am so frustrated.  We have done numerous computer scans and such, to no avail.  My shop is losing a lot of dollars on this job, 'cause it's taking up a bay and labor time and not getting fixed.  If anyone has any idea on what to try next, please let me know.

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2006 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
Answer Chris's question first. Turn the key on...what is the security light doing?
ExactOh 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
The light stays on while the key is in the 'on' position, but goes out after trying to start the vehicle and returned to the 'on' position.  That suggests to me that the Passlock system isn't the problem, but I am out of resources on why this thing won't start and run.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, that does sound like the security light is behaving normally.
While it is good that you've checked spark and fuel pressure........
I am fairly sure that GM's PASSLock II system prevents theft by preventing the PCM from triggering the fuel injectors.
(It would be far too simple for a car thief to hot-wire the starter or fuel pump---they purposely made it more difficult than that.) (On a few cars, though, the system does also disable the starter---but not your van.)
So anyway, if the PASSLock stuff doesn't send the right data signal to the PCM, the PCM won't fire the injectors.
Is your shop equipped to test the wiring going to the fuel injectors? I've seen injector test lights----I'm under the impression they're just small 12V light bulbs with the proper plug---maybe make your own?
ExactOh 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2006 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, we do have noid lights to test the injectors.  The only problem with that on this van is that the injector wires run a bit differently than your typical car.  All of the injector wires run through this central distribution system that does not enable us to test the firing right at the injector, like normal.

The problem has to be with the injectors not firing.  If we fog the intake air with carburator cleaner while cranking, the engine will run.  We also checked the operation of the crankshaft position sensor, which also controls the firing of the injectors, and we tested the mass airflow sensor.  Both of those sensors are functioning properly. 

This customer tried using starting fluid on this van when the thing first failed on him.  He had a small fire near the air cleaner box, which charred some wiring, but we can see all these wires, and it seems that the only damage with to wire insulation.  I can't see any copper, or broken wires.  I am beginning to wonder if any wiring from the BCM run up in that area.  Perhaps we have a Passlock problem, but the light is working normally.

I am at a loss on this one.  The customer is getting anxious, and I need to get this thing out of my shop.  If anyone has any ideas on this, I would appreciate it.

au5599 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2006 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  

check all outputs from the lock cylinder to make sure you have output. Then double check no blown fuses or fuseable links.

Is the PCM corroded and expanding? We had one that was all corroded inside and the casing was starting to expand on it.

Street Dreams Car Club
93 GRAND CARAVAN SE / Astro
Team New York SS3-4 06 & SM3-4 07 DB Drag World Finals
2003 Chevy Suburban LT / 98 GTP
ExactOh 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2006 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  

I will check that out next, thanks.

There is an aftermarket alarm on this thing.  The starter works fine, but is there any aftermarket alarms that could cause the injectors be dead like the Passlock system would do?  I have experience with remote-starters, but do not live in an area where we need alarm systems, so have no experience with them.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic